Poor Golf GTI

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
holy crap :eek:

it must be devastating to see your pride and joy go up in flames like that.

Judging by the extra gauges on the dash though, I bet the silly boy stuck a whacking great Garrett turbo in there and overboosted the nuts off it! Asking for trouble......

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
Yep I agree totally. If that was my car I would be in tears watching it burn up like that.

As for the remark about the turbo, upon closer inspection, there does appear to be a lot of thick tubing running across the engine bay (intercooler at the front, turbo at the back where the fire started perhaps) and what appears to be some silver heat reflective material.

The turbo could have got extremely hot stuck down behind the engine, and so ignited whatever material was down near it.

That's given me an excuse to tidy up my dodgy amp wiring tomorrow before I put it all back into the new car :eek:

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
That money could've been spent so much more wisely... Never invest in something that only decreases in value over time.

krupted

krupted

haha both of you need to shut up:D

I actually would bet an electrical problem- i had an 88 jetta- one day driving down state street all of a sudden the whole interior filled with smoke- i barely got it to a parking lot. It kept going for awhile but it stopped eventually. Later i pulled out a 6ft chunk of wire from the dash completely bare of its insulation!

VW's are notorious for funny wiring, although in my case it could have been that elaborate-ghetto stereo system i kept riggin in my early days:D

agw_01

agw_01

Modified Member
Originally posted by krupted
VW's are notorious for funny wiring, although in my case it could have been that elaborate-ghetto stereo system i kept riggin in my early days:D
ROFL! I've been there before now!

In fact, it reminds me back to when I did an install for a mates car. I was setting up the gain on the amp while he was messing with some wires under the dash.

I hadn't earthed the cables yet as I was just running them temporarily to make sure it would work, and he goes and pulls a load of wiring out and stuffs it back where he found it... only to have a couple of nice smoke clouds coming up from his bonnet a few minutes later :rolleyes: Idiot!

Martin_89

Martin_89

Originally posted by agw_01
In fact, it reminds me back to when I did an install for a mates car. I was setting up the gain on the amp while he was messing with some wires under the dash.

I hadn't earthed the cables yet as I was just running them temporarily to make sure it would work, and he goes and pulls a load of wiring out and stuffs it back where he found it... only to have a couple of nice smoke clouds coming up from his bonnet a few minutes later :rolleyes: Idiot!
LOL i remember you telling me that story.

id be gutted if i had spend alot on a car and then that happens :(

krupted

krupted

meh- its just a car. did you know there are more cars out there now than people that can drive them? pretty wild, i guess in his case i would hope he had full coverage otherwise yeah, i would be crying because of my wallet:D

krupted

krupted

well yeah, but i wonder if he had insurance at all. If the car was insured, everything in it is too. Normally if you dont tell the insurance company ahead of time, they will make you send them the owners manuals or reciepts as proof that you had them

that and i guess he could send them the melted parts:D

Martin_89

Martin_89

ahh insurance must be different over there from over here. if i crash my car with say a new air filter or somthing simple like that on my car and its not on my insurance then its void, i have to pay for my car AND the car ive just wrote off, even if it is a ferarri Enzo :D

CenturionStrategy

CenturionStrategy

Super Moderator
Originally posted by dannyboy27
holy crap :eek:

it must be devastating to see your pride and joy go up in flames like that.

Judging by the extra gauges on the dash though, I bet the silly boy stuck a whacking great Garrett turbo in there and overboosted the nuts off it! Asking for trouble......
Ah, not the end of the world. At least now he can get the new shape GTi ;)

CenturionStrategy

CenturionStrategy

Super Moderator
Originally posted by Martin_89
ahh insurance must be different over there from over here. if i crash my car with say a new air filter or somthing simple like that on my car and its not on my insurance then its void, i have to pay for my car AND the car ive just wrote off, even if it is a ferarri Enzo :D
Yeah, doing any sort of engine mod and not declaring it is asking for trouble. Insurers are always going to try and get out of paying up at the best of times - if you've changed anything you're asking for trouble.

It's always worth telling them if you do anything, and take the hit on insurance.

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
Originally posted by CenturionStrategy
Ah, not the end of the world. At least now he can get the new shape GTi ;)
lol, they say every cloud has a silver lining ;)

there is one performance mod which the insurers would be very hard pushed to spot - a remap.

It simply involves reprogramming the existing ECU, so unless the insurance company went to the trouble of removing the chip and comparing the code to a standard chip, they ain't ever gonna know :cool:

Associates