Please help me choose laptop

K

kypron

i am looking right now at getting a midrange laptop, that can play some games
and dvds. i am stuck choosing between these two:

Toshiba Satellite P30-RV2 Intel Pentium 4 532 HT 3.06GHz Laptop (P30-RV2)
Radeon 9700 pro 128 mb
512 mb ddr ram
1699.99 canadian

or

Gateway 8510GZ Intel Pentium M 740 1.73GHz Laptop
Radeon x700 64 mb
512 mb ddr2 ram
1699.99 canadian

both these systems have 100gb harddrives, wireless internet, 17" screens, and dvd writers, so what i am wondering is if i would get better performance with a Pentium 4 and larger 9700 pro, or the slower pentium m with an x700 with half the ram of the 9700.
battery life is not an issue.

Last edited:
F

F_A_L_C_O_N

First is probably of better quality, second should be faster, especially for gaming.

As for laptop, only the 2nd can be called that, first might look like a laptop, but P4 equiped computer can not be a laptop ;)

chetmichaels

chetmichaels

Peon in training
that is right, it is not a laptop. a more suitable name would be "ball burner"
i have mine running at 1.8ghz and all im doing is watching southpark videos and it heats up! save your family name and keep it off ur lap :D

Tuttle

Tuttle

Resident Cynic
Definitely the Gateway one. The Toshiba is just a PC in a little box that thinks it can run off a battery for an hour or two.

K

kypron

ok, thanks guys. the gateway is seeming to be more attractive from your comments, but the only thing is, that video card is only 64mb. do u think this would limit it compared to the 9700pro? i suppose if i got the toshiba i could
cook breakfast off the underside of the thing when i'm on the road.

Martin_89

Martin_89

Id get the Gateway P-M, the P4 laptop will just burn your balls and have a crap battery run time. it could be doing with a 1024MB memory upgrade though if you plan to play games.

Tuttle

Tuttle

Resident Cynic
64 MB vs 128 MB of video RAM won't make a huge difference (this is a notebook, after all). The mobile X700 chip outperforms the older desktop 9700.

chetmichaels

chetmichaels

Peon in training
yes but if you put the toshiba in a case and do curls wif it you can get some python power. it's very versitale

Associates