please comment on my gaming pc specs

I

in2jesus18

Hey all,
I am building a pc for my brother. It will mainly be for gaiming but he will not be doing anything too extreme 3d. I have a P4 2.0GHz with about 512MB of ram and that is just fine for him. Here are the specs that I am looking at for him... I want to stay with AMD as I hear they are better for gaming and the cost is very competitive. My intel is for Video editing.

case, mobo, psu:
Soyo Dragon Ultra KT400 Black Socket A Barebone Blue with Ultra 400Watt Power Supply

cpu:
AMD Athlon XP 2200+ 1.8GHz (maybe overclocked?...)

Video:
C261-6051 Connect3D Radeon 7000 64MB AGP TV-Out & RCA

I will probably only have two 256MB DDR ram... 80GB hdd, cdrw, and the rest of the parts will all be bought locally.

After rebates it will all total roughly $380... I want to stay under $400.
So, How does that look? is there anything I should swap for somehting else or, mainly, is there anything I can do without for a lower price... (the mobo, psu, and case is bundled)
again, it is not for extreme gaming by any means but it is for 3d gaiming (mainly deer hunter, etc.).
Thanks,
Stephen

Martin_89

Martin_89

i think that graphics card is getting abit dated now, im not sure what the prices of the 7000 or say the 9600 are in $ so i dont know what you can afford or not mabee someone else could help out here.

RDX

RDX

Proud H-Bomb owner
The 9600pro(130$) would cost about 100$ more than the 7000 (30$). It wouldn't be too easy to fit that into your budget. You could get a radeon 8500le for around 65$. While no speed demon, it is still a decent performer and is ALOT faster than the 7000.

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
You could get a refurbished Radeon 9600 non-Pro 128MB from Newegg. They run between $60-80 and would be a pretty good deal for the performance.

sam_fisher

sam_fisher

Hardcore Geek
drop the 7000 and get a 9600np refurb like wrathchild_67 said.
i think you would be most dissatisfied with the 7000..

sam..

R

Rendition

I concur you need a graphics card upgrade, even if you can get an old Radeon 9700.

oORyanOo

oORyanOo

Also, going to an nForce 2 mobo would be beneficial for overclocking and general performance

F

F_A_L_C_O_N

for the time being (seeing you want to keep costs down) you might consider

Nforce2 mobo with onboard graphics (they all have AGP port for future upgrade)

make sure you buy 2 sticks of ram in this case, since dual channel mode will make all the difference for IGP solution
also if you decide to go that way up the ram to 400 even if your CPU runs at 266 and you will get GF4MX 440 class card for next to nothing which should be close to something like R9000 card

F

F_A_L_C_O_N

this is basically what sppeds you are looking at when going for IGP solution:

LINK to thread on 440

anyways it should be at least 2x-3x as fast as R 7000 and usually Nforce2 IGP boards cost just a bit more (5-15$) then non-IGP

oORyanOo

oORyanOo

I concur that the integrated graphics on the NF2 would be a lot better than a 7000. An Abit NF7-M would be a good choice if you don't need a ton of expansion capabilites

I

in2jesus18

hmm,
Ok, I am looking at the parts and i have read some reviews about the ABIT nForce2 IGP and they seem to be pretty good... I can get the mobo for $99 w/ free shipping from newegg...
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-150&depa=1&section=1
and I can still stick with a simmilar case i was looking at w/o the mobo bundle for $90 (maybe $10 s/h extra)(Including free 500w PS) at tiger direct.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=93500&sku=MTX-BL-ULTRA
It looks like the extra cost would only be about $45 to go with this rather than the original plan of the radeon 7000 with the original mobo...
does this look ok?
do you have any ideas for better cases that are cheaper or is this pretty good for the price (and P/S)?
Thank you very much.
Stephen

F

F_A_L_C_O_N

100$ is close to what I would pay for Chieftec Dragon Mini-Tower with window and 400W PSU, so price looks good and as you said it you could put I845 on the Ebay, or you could build extra comp if you have some parts lying around the house

one point to make though this 400W PSU is more like 300W PSU according to specs so if you decide to upgrade later its a bit underpowered for fuly fledged XP system, however it should be able to handle 3200+XP, 2-3 IDE devices 512MB ram and something like 9600XP

SaulTurnedPaul

SaulTurnedPaul

Hiking Member
Here's my suggestion just off the top of my head, total comes to $383 (plus $15 shipping for case) from Newegg.com:

Asus nForce2 IGP Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "A7N8X-VM" -RETAIL $92
Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM $76
Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6E040L0, OEM Drive only (limit 5 per customer) = $54
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton", 333 FSB, 512K Cache Processor - OEM = $85
ANTEC Solution Series 3.0 Ghz compatible Case with 300W Power Supply, Model "SLK2600AMB" -RETAIL $43
Lite-On Beige 52X32X52 CD-RW Drive, Model LTR-52327S BEIGE, OEM = $33

Explanations: A7N8X has everything you need including the MX 440 IGP built in, which should be plenty for games like Deer Hunter. You can always upgrade to a better graphics card, anyway.

Corsair is one of the top manufacturers for memory, and because you save money on the built in IGP on the A7N8X-VM then you get an additional 256MB, which will dramatically increase performance. Also, it's 3200, so it's fast.

The 40GB should be plenty of space for average use, unless your brother will be downloading video. You can always add another drive, too.

I would go for the 2500+ Barton because you can afford it. It's faster than the 2200+ because it has 256k more cache, its at a higher clock speed, and it runs at a higher fsb.

The Antec case comes with a 300W PSU which is great quality because it is Antec. It's a cool grey case with a bay door that also has removable drive cages. Great deal for $43 bucks!

All I run at home is Lite-on CD/RWs and DVD-ROMs. They're great. This one burns at 52x, the fastest there is. You'll be very pleased.

I think this covers everything, assuming you have a keyboard, mouse and monitor. Otherwise there is no way you can keep it under $400 unless you go with e-machines or something like that.

Good luck. ;)

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
About buying a HDD- you should always look for something with a less than 1:1 dollars to gigabytes of storage ratio. 40GB drives are the cheapest to buy, but have a very poor $:GB ratio. An 80-100GB would have amuch better ratio as you generally pay less than $1 for every GB the drive has. I haven't seen any 40GB drives for $40 or less. They're usually $50-60. Just my 2 cents.

SaulTurnedPaul

SaulTurnedPaul

Hiking Member
Originally posted by wrathchild_67
About buying a HDD- you should always look for something with a less than 1:1 dollars to gigabytes of storage ratio. 40GB drives are the cheapest to buy, but have a very poor $:GB ratio. An 80-100GB would have amuch better ratio as you generally pay less than $1 for every GB the drive has. I haven't seen any 40GB drives for $40 or less. They're usually $50-60. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah, that's a good point. :) I think a 60GB is only $15 more, and a 80GB is only $10 more than that, so perhaps it is a better idea to buy as much as you can on that $:GB ratio. I only suggested it because I have been fine with my 30GB for more than a year and it is full of music and programs. I am running out of space now but luckily I've got a 60GB lying in wait 'til I can buy a better power supply and put it in my rig.

Long gone are the days when they said you'd never be able to fill up a 400MB drive... :D

I

in2jesus18

I went ahead and made the purchase on all the parts, I just got the case today. I stuck with buying the mobo combo and will plan on selling the mobo on ebay or somthing. The hdd I have a rain check for... It is 80GB Maxtor (i believe its maxtor) from office max after rebates, for $20 +tax.
the cdr drive will just be one of my older cendynes that I probably got for $10 after rebates.
the memory will come as soon as i see some rebates for that too.
the monitor will be a used 17 that ill get from a friend for $35.
keyboard and mouse will come from officemax also.
with all of that said, assuming my rebates will all be accepted, it will be very close to $400 and I still have the mobo to sell.
thanks for all of your guys' advice and help. I think this will be a nice pc for him to be able to upgrade for a while.
thanks again,
Stephen

Associates