Permission?

T

tigerjeaux1

I haven't had this error message before when deleting old back-ups. Now when I try to delete them I receive an error message saying that I need permission to delete them. I'm on a home network & no administrator has ever been assigned. What does it want?

Technoplume

Technoplume

Try to log in has an administrator, right click the file and find the "take Ownership" menu, just click that and see if it work.

Windows 7 came with a file association for user to prevent wrong user to modify important files. Sometimes after you install the OS or change some User setting the key foe the user change and the file lose account association. An Admin account can take ownership of a file for security reason like virus scan etc.

The other reason I would see is that the back up software is running a service in the back ground, and is preventing modification has they are being access, find the service, and stop it, do your thing and restart the service.

T

tigerjeaux1

Try to log in has an administrator, right click the file and find the "take Ownership" menu, just click that and see if it work.

Windows 7 came with a file association for user to prevent wrong user to modify important files. Sometimes after you install the OS or change some User setting the key foe the user change and the file lose account association. An Admin account can take ownership of a file for security reason like virus scan etc.

The other reason I would see is that the back up software is running a service in the back ground, and is preventing modification has they are being access, find the service, and stop it, do your thing and restart the service.

T

tigerjeaux1

Thanx 4 your reply, I have Win 7-64 bit; no "take Ownership" menu but I do have an administrator command prompt on my folder selection window but not on my file selection window, can a "take ownership" command be made with this? If so, how?

Associates