pc to tv help

couchmanj18

couchmanj18

yea i would like to know how one sets their tv to work as a monitor.
what kind of cables i need, and if i have to buy some sort of network card or if i need a convertor of sorts and so on. im knida new with my computer and i seen some one else with the same tv as mine set it up. its a 27" but not plazma or hdtv and it has the red, green ,and blue componet video ports in the back. at first i thought i could buy some cables and connect it strait up but i was wrong in thinking i had those same ports in my computer

thanks to any one who can help me

krupted

krupted

what model video card do you have? does it have something called vivo? or s-video out? if so, you wouldnt need any extra hardware. all depends on what you got so spit it.

and welcome to the boards

couchmanj18

couchmanj18

thanks for the welcome and this is kinda funny. i looked it over and i geuss i dont have a video card...heh. if i did have one it would be put in right above my network adaptor right? and i need one for games so what would a cheap card that could play WoW or Guild wars?

N

nelsoncp21

sounds like your graphics are integrated on your moterboard. Most video cards come with a dvi,vga or s-video output or a combination of a couple of these. Depending on your tv's inputs and what TV it is will depend on what you will have to use. Almost all tv's have component or s-video. you can hook up using straight s-video or a s-video to component dongle. If your tv is newer it may have a vga port on it or even a dvi if your lucky. If no dvi is available you can get a dvi to hdmi cable if your tv has hdmi. see my point. there are so many ways to hook up it's best just to say what output you have on your pc and the different inputs on your tv.

couchmanj18

couchmanj18

well yea i found out my problem, my motherbaord dosent support most video cards so i had to buy a used one for my girlfriends computer, from there i had no problem cept for a little run in with the whole play video on secondary screen thing. but you guys realy put me on the right path and thanks for the help. my friend told me ill need a new mother board and depending on the video card ill need a bigger case too.. but then i might as well get a new prossesser and i have to up grade my ram so i think i bascaly need a new computer =/

krupted

krupted

haha! welcome to the relentless world of pc's. i would advise, however, to wait a few more months if you do decide to buy a whole new pc. once dx10 cards come about you will be able to build up a real nice system that wont need upgrading for a few years.

Associates