PC and gaming ?

D

digitaldog

Still here!
Which do you prefer playing your games on, a PC and/or one of the many other options available e.g. PS3 etc ?

PC for me as I like to play games and then play around with them adding this and editing that to extract as much as possible out of a game.

On a completely different subject watchout for Trojans etc in PC game editors and some patches, I've noticed that more and more 'nasties' are getting added these days and anti-spyware programs don't always find these nasties until after the editor/patch has been installed and can be missed completely, make sure you scan your computers on a regular basis!

DD

The CandyMan

The CandyMan

Chocolately LAN Goodness!
Have to agree. The only console I currently own is the Wii (for myself and the kids) but since I've been playing games on the pc since 1977 when my dad built a heath kit and I played Star Trek (the enterprise was the < symbol lol!) on it I've always been partial to PC gaming. Might some day break down and buy a Xbox or PS3 but for now I'm perfectly fine with PC gaming.

E

ELF2000

I like playing games on a PC. I do own a Wii for the kids and I have played a number of games on the Wii but I still prefer the PC.

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
Out of interest, do you guys feel the PC gaming scene is still alive and well in the US ?

As much as I want to believe that I'm wrong, over here I can't help but get the distinct impression that the PC gaming market is in terminal decline. I will never buy a console, but there are so many people now who I guess are attracted to the convenience and cost of consoles.

One of the most noticeable things is in our biggest chain of UK game stores (imaginatively called 'Game'). The PC section used to be by far the biggest part of these stores, but is now just a couple of little shelves tucked away in the far corner. Supposedly Game are going to stop selling PC games in their stores completely, later this year.

I also think it's a shame that even the traditionally PC-loyal Rockstar seem to have no plans to release Red Dead Redemption on PC. But I guess the reality is that a PC title just doesn't generate anything like the same revenue as its console version. Not only does the PC version usually sell fewer units, but us PC gamers expect lower prices too.

I don't want to sound like a doom-monger as I know Steam is still doing well, and some companies like Valve still champion the PC as the best gaming platform. Still, I can't help but feel that PC gaming will become an ever-shrinking niche market as time goes on. What do you guys think?

Danny

D

digitaldog

Still here!
I agree with what you're saying Danny, although I'm in the UK too I've noticed a lot of the online companies I deal with who sell PC games are reducing their stock and choice and moving ever more towards consoles. Possibly one of the reasons for PC games not being as attractive as they used to be is the advanced tech that consoles now use and their ability to connect to the internet etc plus you rarely see PC's being advertised in the UK for playing games although I've noticed a push towards certain laptops being advertised recently for primarily playing games on but not a standard PC. In PC magazines you find lots of super powered this that and the other aimed at the mega rich who can afford something that could possibly take its owner to the moon with the amount of 'claimed' built-in gaming power as well as play all the latest games to their full potential but apart from those kinds of magazines PC's are not being marketed anything like the many consoles coming from abroad, as you say it would be interesting to see what the situation is like in the US!

DD

nodnod

nodnod

Dismember
I think PC gaming still has a long life left. I haven't seen many games not released for PC yet. A couple of titles here and there doesn't mean anything really.

dannyboy27

dannyboy27

Lazy
On the plus side I guess companies like Intel, and particuarly nVidia & AMD (ATi) will be fighting pretty hard behind the scenes to ensure there's a continuing market for their high-end gaming products........

D

digitaldog

Still here!
Yeah, I bet they are but the problem is most people don't want to have to spend out big bucks on the latest PC just to run the latest games. This will be a problem that game creators will have to address especially as PC sales have really dropped here in the UK due to our current financial position, people tend to buy what they need rather than what they want. Perhaps it is for this reason that consoles are so popular vs the PC. Building your own PC is much cheaper especially as you can pick the bits you need and at sensible prices, anyone can build a PC, if someone like me with an IQ of minus 3 can do it anyone can! ;)

nodnod

nodnod

Dismember
Even mid range PCs can run most games with the same resolution and quality level as a console. I consider my setup midrange and I can run any game I have tried with full quality with AA and AS and no frame drops at 1280X1024. The only game I haven't tried yet is Crysis 2 but I should know when I get it later today.

Huge

Huge

Why am I still doing up?
Crysis 2 is fun (so far) but lots of bugs and the longest cut scenes evar!

D

digitaldog

Still here!
How are you getting on with Crysis 2 Huge

Now that I've finally taken the mega plunge, for me anyway, and upgraded to Windows 7 waving with fond memories bye bye to XP can anyone recommend any good FPS other than Crysis 2 that run happily with W7 home premium and don't require masses of cpu processing power to play ?

Cheers, DD :)

The CandyMan

The CandyMan

Chocolately LAN Goodness!
Gaming and burning (converting videos mostly to DVD or Bluray) are the two main reason I've always end up upgrading my systems. Just upgrade the 4th one in 6 months mainly because some of the multiplayer games for pc require the horsepower to play (games like NFS Hot Pursuit, CODBO, etc.) and my older socket 949s just weren't cutting it. If PC game started disappearing then most likely I would not upgrade much at all which goes along with dannyboy27 statement about AMD/Intel and Nvidia doing their part to keep pc gaming alive. I've sent them a healthy chunk of change in the past 6 months because of it lol. :D

Huge

Huge

Why am I still doing up?
Actually got busy with work :( I should pick it up again soon.

If you like crushing zombies, L4D/2 is a good waste of time :)

D

digitaldog

Still here!
Thanks for that, no time it seems for gaming at the moment myself but have to make time for one of lifes little pleasures....just wondering if there has ever been a game written called 'Shoot the manager', you could load a digital image of the manager of your place of work into the game, give them a knife to defend themselves with and then either hunt them down through nightmare levels or send in the zombies, could be a great way of relieving stressed out workers, unless of course you're the manager.... ;)

DD:)

Associates