Passpoint - Failed Direct Wire Connect

C

cslink23

Hi - When I try to connect to the MLB, I get the error message "Failed Direct Wire Connect".
The pop-up message tells me that it could be caused by one of the following:
- Serial cable not properly plugged in
- MLB is not powered up
- Host_ID mismatch

nothing physical has changed at the PC side or at the MLB.
The power supply shows all three lights (heartbeat, lowv, ac) lit.
The Host-ID in Passpoint shows as "FFFFFFFFFFFF" which I think is the default. But, I don't know if it is supposed to be different than that.

Our local support company is no longer available to service this system.
Thanks for any help you can provide!

Technoplume

Technoplume

I don't know much about passpoint. Cable do break from fatigue over time if they are suspended or bent, it might just be corosion from moisture. Did you remove the cables and check the connections a both end ?

C

cslink23

I removed the cables from both ends and just put them back on. The PC is in the room adjacent to the MLB so I can't really test another cable.
Is there another method (besides the PassPoint s/w) of connecting to the MLB so that I could test the connection from that PC. Could I telnet to the MLB?

Technoplume

Technoplume

Hi Again, so I did a little googleing and found this manual
https://www.honeywellaccess.com/documents/K4879_rev0300.pdf

the "FFFFFFFFFF" is indeed normal, well somewhat, it means any computer can communicate with the MLB. It can be change to restrict access after installation. "FFFF etc " are the default setting.

To test the cable further you would need a RS-232 cable tester, or a 2nd person you could apply a 9 volt battery to 2 cable and have someone else use the multimeter on the other side to check connectivity.
If your multi meter can detect wave signal, or you have an osciloscope, you could have the PC send signal in the cable and use the device to see the out put.

Referencing the manual, there are power and communication diagram. To verify if the MLB is working I would use the multimetre and test the power ports on the board, and make sure all the volt value are in between spec.

There must be an other company out there that can do all that testing. Even if they can't repair it, they could at least come tell you what need to be change.

From the manual, the system does look old, like windows 95 old. Something on the board might have given, could be just 1 capacitor, or the RS-232 chip died form many years of communication, etc

Only thing left would be for you to read the manual and see if maybe the software was reset, go trough the installation process to verify everything is working fine.

:( good luck

C

cslink23

Thanks for taking the time to check this for me. I'll test that cable as you said. There is a company that I've contacted. The system is so old that they don't support it any more.

Technoplume

Technoplume

If you can locate the parts number on the Power supply and MLB, it could help research the internet for more information.

C

cslink23

OK - before I checked the cable, I tried again to connect and it did connect! I guess that's a good thing but I feel I need to know why I couldn't connect for 3 weeks and all of the sudden I'm back in. Does this new information point to (or eliminate) anything?

Technoplume

Technoplume

Maybe the system reset itself during the night, or there is a stress damage on a connector and the temperature change enough to have it working again. Or the gremlins move to an other building.

Most likely I would bet on a bad capacitor or a board contact that is giving away.

Associates