Parallel Processing How-TO

Y

Yaguara

I was wondering if anybody knows how to combine 2 or more computers to have parallel processing. I want to use win98 so that I can run games really fast. All that I know right now is that you have to basically have a fast eithernet card for each computer hooked up to a switch.

Thanks for the input

E

Eccentric

Sorry I couldn't resist the urge. Is it possible on Windows??????? If anyone knows please share. I know it's possible on Linux!!! Works damn good too, however, it just got a grade of 'F' at Zdnet, for "setup". The way I see it though, if you have a bunch of Microsoft employees setting up a Linux feature, it gets an 'F' all of the time.

------------------
Eccentric
"Content Unix User"

Y

Yaguara

Ah man, I hope there is a way with win98.
There better be a way.
I will make a way.

Mole

Mole

Seeing Mole
Unfortunately, there is NO WAY with Windows.

Just think about it. Almost all games out there don't even support multi processors in one computer. Forget about paralell processing man.

M

mfurdyk

NT does, and Windows 2000 will. But why use Windows 2000 when you can use Afterstep on Linux?

Yummy.

-- Michael

E

Eccentric

I doubt the games ported over to Linux will either. They'd have to be reworked almost completely to take advantage of multi-processsing support. You have to write the code to utilize multi-threads, and the only languages I know of that have special functionality for that on Linux are C/C++, and Java. However, if when the original code was written, those multi-thread functions were not used, it'd be a pain to implement.

E

Eccentric

mfurdyk,

Have you ever tried the Window Manager, "enlightenment?" Kicks NT's ass even worse than Afterstep. However, it's still a beta, and been one forever, but it will work pretty good, if you like experimenting.

G

Geoff

I have tried enlightenment. It looks really snazzy but it's very hard to get used to. I am currently using KDE, will try to resist raving about it for a few paragraphs

Hover over the large "K" icon and it says "Where do you want to go tomorrow?" - obviously a parody of a certain other slogan, and kinda jeering by suggesting that X/KDE is more advanced than M$

KDE is *very* logical however, many times I thought to myself "now where is the...." and it was very easily found. However, it's unfortunate that everything is always in the last place you look. *snicker*

Associates