Packaging for posting a hard drive question

U

uart

renleon said:
Its a good point, im not sure how to package it.

Should I spend money on proper packaging or is it a waste of money considering the drive is broken.

And if he thinks cloths and paper are fine, should I just use that?
Well the very first thing you should do is download the diagnostic utility from the manufacturers website and confirm that the drive really is faulty. Mount it in a computer (not an external encloure), make sure you have all the jumper settings and cables correct and then run the maxtor dignostic utility. Post the results here.

W

Wreckles

If you are sure the drive is not working there is no point of spending more money to package it. But you should atleast use antistatic bags/cloths, some bubble wrap and if possibe a harddisk container. These things wont be hard to find.

The CandyMan

The CandyMan

Chocolately LAN Goodness!
DanceMan said:
Not only is he a computer expert, he probably thinks he can spell as well. And in all caps.
LOL, exactly what I was thinking. Doesn't anyone know how to use the caps lock key or what a spell check is used for? Most likely it's some dumbass kid who found a bunch of bum computer hardware and is trying to sell it to make a buck.

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

renleon said:
Its a good point, im not sure how to package it.

Should I spend money on proper packaging or is it a waste of money considering the drive is broken.

And if he thinks cloths and paper are fine, should I just use that?
Package the drive correctly. It's not that hard, and you don't want to give him a peg to hang his hat on as to why he is refusing to make it good.

R

renleon

Well I sent it back wrapped in a load of bubble wrap.

I tested it with the maxtor testing tool and it basically said its broken, contact maxtor.

I also ran it through a few other testing tools like HDD Regenerator. They reported testing times of over 1000 hours. After giving each a couple of hours the progress bar didnt get past 2%.

I think the drive is one big bad sector !

Associates