Packaging for posting a hard drive question

R

renleon

Hi, I bought a hard drive off ebay and I would like others opinions on the packing that was used, as I think the packaging was not adequate and the drive is broken as a result.

The drive was wrapped (without an anti-static bag) in two thin cloths and packaging paper. The minute I saw how the drive had been wrapped I suspected it could be damaged.

The seller seems to thing this packaging was fine. I would appreciate other people comments to help prove to them that it was not.

Thanks.

W

Wreckles

I think harddrives are the most fragile component in a computer system therefore need very good handling. The packaging you have described is totally not enough when transporting a harddisk without special attention of anyone. Anti-static bag is a must when packaging any electronic component. At least he should have used some bubble wrap or something like that. Its no wonder your drive is broken.
Post some pics if possible.

R

renleon

Thanks for the reply.

The drive itself doesnt have any visual dents or damage that I can see. But I know I know it doesnt need to for the drives contents to be damaged.

I threw away the packaging, im going to try and dig it out so I have a visual record of what was used.

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
If the drive wasn't wrapped in bubble wrap then likely it will be damaged.

Hard Drives have to be wrapped in bubble wrap, a lot of bubble wrap to stop damage from being bounced around.

A

athi

hdd need to be isolated from shock when shipping since there are a few close toleranced moving parts in the hdd. anything that would suspend the hdd inside the container would work. was the hdd shipped in a roomy box and was it cushioned from jarring/shock when the box is handled?

when packaging hdd, i would first wrap it in anti-static wrap and then either bubble wrap or in an original hdd shipping container (i always keep a few around, they don't take up too much space). if you look at how the manufacturer's ship their hdd, it is always wrapped in anti-static wrap with a desicant and somehow suspended in the middle of the container (usually some type of formed plastic)

R

renleon

Ive just dug the packaging out of the bin, ewww !

The drive was wrapped in two clothes. Something you would normally keep under your sink to clean surfaces. And an A4 peice of paper to seel it up and write the address on.

We are talking a couple of milimeters of protection. No anti-static bag, no box, no bubble wrap, no foam.

When wrapped the package was the same size as the hard drive.

R

renleon

Just tryed the drive in an external caddy connected via USB. Doesnt even display the drive when powered on.

A

athi

renleon said:
The drive was wrapped in two clothes. Something you would normally keep under your sink to clean surfaces. And an A4 peice of paper to seel it up and write the address on.

We are talking a couple of milimeters of protection. No anti-static bag, no box, no bubble wrap, no foam.

When wrapped the package was the same size as the hard drive.
that doesn't sound good with the way that packages get toss around during shipment.

i packed ram for shipping better than that.

krupted

krupted

theres gotta be some sort of give when packaging a harddrive. a drive hitting a hard surface and sustaining a 300g shock is a huge difference from the drive hitting a hard surface but having that 1" of give to take out the initial hit. harddrives can sustain some pretty massive g forces, but they dont like to be cracked hard against anything.

R

renleon

Thank you all for confirming what I thought. If I have problems convincing the seller that the hard drive broke due to their poor packing I will give them a link to this thread so they can read the opionions from people who know what they are talking about.

R

renleon

This is the last email I got from him. I cant believe he thinks two cloths would be enough to protect the drive.

HI THERE
PLEASES DONT TRY AND SAY THAT THE WAY I PACKED THIS ITEM WAS NOT CORRECT .
I HAVE SENT OUT MANY ITEMS AND HAVE NEVER HAD ANY COMPLAITES.
I HAVE WORKED AT PC WORLD FOR 10 YEARS AND I KNOW WOT I AM TALKING ABOUT
THE DRIVE WAS RAPPED IN 2 ANTISTATIC CLOTHS' EACH CLOTH WRAPPED AROUND THE
DRIVE TWICE ( MAYBE 2AND A HALF TIMES EACH ) THEN IT HAD CARD WRAPPED AROUND
IT.
THESES CLOTHS WERE ANTI STATIC (PLEASES HAVE THEM CHECKED IF YOU WISH TO DO
SO)
THE DRIVE WAS WORKING PERFECTLY WHEN I SENT IT TO YOU I CAN ONLY PERSUME YOU
MAY OF CORRUPTED THE DRIVE WITH INCORRECT SOFTWERE . I HAVE MANY
QUALIFCATIONS IN COMPUTERS AND LIKE YOURSELF HAVE BUILT MANY MORE THAN 20 .
THERE WAS NO INSURANCE ON POSTAGE FOR YOUR ITEM AS YOU DID NOT ASK FOR IT .
SO I AM SORRY BUT I DONT SEE WHY I SHOULD REFUND YOU WHEN I KNOW THERE WAS
NOTHINK WRONG WITH IT. PLEASES NOTE THE 2 ANTISTATIC CLOTH WOULD GIVE JUST
AS MUCH PROTECTION AS A JIFFI BAY IF NOT MORE.
REGUARDS
Corrupted the drive with incorrect software, what !

And there was no card.

R

renleon

Ohh and here are couple of pics of the outside paper wrapping and one of the cloths next to the drive.

Attachments

edhe62

edhe62

It's too bad that this person is so impressed by his "qualifications". I'm suprised that he thinks wrapping an hdd in 2 cloth wraps (even if they DID go 2 1/2 times around!) is sufficient.

Unfortunately, I don't think that he'll ever refund your money. He's sounds so convinced that he's right that you'll probably just need to report it to eBay and let them try to get your money back for you. I doubt that they'll do any good either, but maybe they'll flag his account or something.

R

renleon

Hes said I can return the drive but it must be in the same condition as when it was sent or he will send it back. And if he tests it and its working he will also send it back.

Obviously its not in the same condition as when it was sent it, because now it doesnt work.

Ill wrap it up in a couple of anti-static cloths, a piece of A4 paper and send it back.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Not only is he a computer expert, he probably thinks he can spell as well. And in all caps.

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

DanceMan said:
Not only is he a computer expert, he probably thinks he can spell as well. And in all caps.
Yeah. I was going to bring that up. Spellcheck is a great thing.

E

ELF2000

Thats not how to pack a hard drive for transport. I would pack and seal it in a anti static bag with lots of bubble rap around it, then place it in a box and make sure it can't move around inside the box during transit.

if you look at how the manufacturer's ship their hdd, it is always wrapped in anti-static wrap with a desicant and somehow suspended in the middle of the container (usually some type of formed plastic)
Thats similar to how hard drives are sent to work when I worked in the IT industry. The drives came in brand new sealed in their anti static bag and placed in a foam cradle so the drive couldn't move and the cradle (usually around 20 joined together was placed in its own box and it just fitted inside the box.

He said he sent out many items before, wonder how many of them are hard drives?

U

uart

Yeah the guy is a 100% certified clueless d!ck. Actually it's scary just how moronic some people can be and yet still consider themselves as computer experts. The packaging that he used is without doubt inadequate. Just take a look at any of the drive manufactures to see their packaging requirements for RMA and you'll realize just how pathetically inadequate it is. I'm sure that drive manufactures like Western Digital and Seagate know a little more about hard-drives than the guy who sent you the drive.

Below is a link to WD's RMA guidelines including packaging requirements (quoted). Note that they require a strong corrugated cardboard box, plus an anti-static bag (a real one and not just a "chux super-wipe" dish cloth LOL) plus a minimum of 2" foam packing in every direction, and all packed so the drive is totally secure and can't move about in any direction. And please note that these are the requirements for returning drives that are already certified as "dead" by their lifeguard diagnostic software!!!!

http://support.wdc.com/warranty/rmapacking.asp

The following are helpful guidelines for packaging Western Digital disk drives for shipment. By adhering to these guidelines you will provide the best possible protection for the drive so it is not further damaged in transit.

Place the drive in the original ESD (electro-static discharge) protective bag prior to shipment. If the ESD bag is not available, please use an equivalent anti-static bag. Use an outer carton that is made of corrugated paper. Do not use chipboard as it is not strong enough to withstand the rigors of transit. Please make sure the corrugated carton is free from defects and is structurally sound.

The disk drive is a sensitive precision instrument. To protect the drive from shock, you will need to use a cushioning material. Foam may also be used as long as the drive cannot move when box is jolted and foam is covering all sides of the drive. To ensure the drive does not move inside the corrugated carton, make sure that you have secured the drive snugly with the same amount of cushioning on all sides due to the fact the carton could be dropped on any side during shipping.

When shipping more than one drive in a single carton, ensure that the drives do not touch and they are both cushioned individually. If utilizing foam, a minimum of 2" in all directions should be used. DO NOT USE peanuts or flowables as they will not support the drive in all directions during shipping. Seal the corrugated carton firmly using adhesive backed tape. Make sure all carton edges are sealed also to prevent any tearing. Please utilize Western Digital original packaging when available.

Last edited:
W

Wreckles

renleon said:
Ill wrap it up in a couple of anti-static cloths, a piece of A4 paper and send it back.
If you are sending it back you better package it properly this time. cuz he might say that the drive is damaged cuz YOU packaged it incorrectly. :D

R

renleon

Its a good point, im not sure how to package it.

Should I spend money on proper packaging or is it a waste of money considering the drive is broken.

And if he thinks cloths and paper are fine, should I just use that?

Associates