Overclocking, do you lose your warrenty?

If you over clock your cpu do you lose your warrenty or is it still valid, or does it depend on the maker?

Yes, you will lose the warrenty, but (assuming you have a PII) as long as you don't do those wild modifications I see on the net to enable some clock multipliers, and don't have a small mound of melted silicon goo from over-zealous overclocking with the CPU running at 56.1V on an abit mobo with absolutely no liquid nitrogen cooling it. . . no one is really going to check close enough to see the difference.

Well i was just wondering
i have a P200mmx and im getting a PII350 soon. Since i replaced a lot on my P200 i might possibley be able to make to computer out of the parts. O/C was a though for both, but probley not a realty for the PII. Thanks

Great question, I'm glad u ask. I just blowed up my less than 1 yr old Cyrix P200+ (err... not into pieces you maniac! Somehow the FPU just didn't work... strange?) The whole cpu is still intact and doesn't smell funny.

A 30 days warranty was given by my retail store (so no luck there). I'm just wondering if Cyrix provides warranty for their chips? (Assuming they don't know what's the problem is

Dan Berry

Does it void the warranty, in a word YES. O/C may shorten the CPU's life. Also, I think The CPU maker and dealer tell you not to O/C for that reason. But if you need speed and risks....

Unless you make modifications to the chip there is no way to tell that it has been o/c'ed. So even if the mfg'er says it does void the warranty how are they going to prove it?

they do not warranty abuse. if you burn the chip by not using proper cooling, NO WARRANTY ! same applies to OC & heat damage there from.

The warranty is against manufacturing defects. you can see burned circuits with a magnifying glass but that is usually not needed to determine failure cause.

burned chips have massive circuit damage. normal failure is for a small part of the whole chip with the remaining circuits intact. burned chips have lots of circuits out.

pop em in a chip tester & the failure pattern usually tells the story.