Overclocking Cyrix

A

AlmightygMan

I have a 300 mhz Cyrix prcessor I want to overclock it to 333 or perhaps 366 mhz, can anyone tell me how to do this and also if anyone has was there a vast improvement in performance?

------------------
Gonzalo Guzman

CenturionStrategy

CenturionStrategy

Super Moderator
To be honest, you won't get a major increase in speed I doubt, probably best to upgrade to a K6-2 or K6-+. Also Cyrixes don't O/C that well as they run hot.

------------------
...and the 8th and final rule, if this is your first night, you have to fight.

K

K6-III

You need to change the multiplier jumpers to a higher setting. Now it is probably at 66x4.5. Try a 5x or 5.5x multiplier. If it is not stable, you may need to also raise the voltage a few bumps beyond default.

Cyrix, hehehehehe, sorry.

------------------
Gimme my TriLevel Cache

J

Justintime

dude, if your mobo can support lower vcore voltages such as 2.2 or 2.4 then i'd slip in a k6 series processor, sorry but k6-III is right, sorry man!..

------------------
Jr

D

Drakion

No point, ditch the cyrix and get a duron, Cyrix -are- rubbish, my PR-200 thought it was a 486

------------------
Drakion is one of the few unfortunate people who cannot OC (lack of funds, useless mb, no cooling) and can only watch idlely by. Good luck dudes.

USSVoyager

USSVoyager

Excuse the name
If you check your manual to see if your motherboard can support 100Mhz FSB and you have 100Mhz RAM then you may be able to re-adjust the FSB and the clock multiplier to improve speed a little. I don't know if this is possible with your PC (it was possible with a Cyrix 333 machine I checked recently as it had PC100 RAM in) but you could try and find out.

USSVoyager

------------------
Speed is everything - Warp factor 9, Mr. Sulu!