Overclockers, how cool are you?

E

Earl Hicksberry

So. Just how good is your overclock. What type of cooling system are you using and what do you have in your computer. Since I plan on overclocking my computer soon

800Mhz T-Bird
GeForce 2 GTS 32MB
384MB RAM

I was just curious what everyone else prefers for their super cooled computer. Also how big is your PSU to keep all those peltiers and what not going. What would you suggest for me?

Maxout

Maxout

P3 700 cBo @ 1050, 80w pelt on an Alpha 3125s w/38cfm Deltas, 3/16" copper cold plate & Arctic silver thermal compound.

------------------
If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

T

TNproud2b

A pair of heatpiped xeons on an Asus XG-DLS motherboard....any other heatpipe users here?

Psyduck

Psyduck

Geez get them outta my sight

I bet they've got compaq written all over them

Celeron [email protected] 56W peltier Alpha PAL6035 w/26cfm YS-Tech (I think
) and a couple of other fans around it, about 1/8th inch aluminium spreader (well it's a cold plate I guess, but I use software to regulate temperature fluctuations)

Temperature wise, it'll go down to -10C idle but it's regulated by SETI so stys at a constant of 20C +- 2C

Power wise, its a bit overloaded in there, everything runs off a 235Watt PSU, and there's quite a few drives in there

When it blows it'll be time for dual T-Birds, but it's lasted for well over 8 months already

[edit because there's a p in compaq]

------------------
My Site - My Setup. What more could you ask for?

[This message has been edited by Psyduck (edited 01-10-2001).]

E

Earl Hicksberry

Just exactly how does that thing work TNproud2b. That's nuts. Anybody out there use extreme cooling on their video card or ram even?

never2muchRAM

never2muchRAM

dammmmmnnnnn, yo!!!!!
all i can say tho, is "what's up with those empty RAM banks, hunh?"

------------------
tbird [email protected] - kt7raid
1024mb crucial RAM
2x 30gb ibm gxp - raid0
2x plextor 1210a - pioneer 16x dvd
sblive platinum - klipsch pro media
g400max - 22" NEC fp1370 + 15" dell

M

MrBigglesworth

hehe... I'm running at 53C under load!! I am using a FOP 32-1 to cool my Duron. I just ordered a new case with lots of room for extra fans (LiteON FS020) so I hope that will help a little.

------------------
Run! Run like a gerbil!
AMD Duron [email protected]

Kruz

Kruz

Parrot Head
72w pelt on an Alpha-pep66,Y-S Tec fan at 17volts(6800 rpm)
Antec pp303x 300 PSU, 2x120mm fans, 3x80mm fans (fans are on a 12volt 1.5amp ac to dc converter).
-4c idle to 32-34c full load.

------------------
Mark
Celeron [email protected],1.95v,
Abit BE6-II Bios= RV , Abit Slocket3, Alpha-pep66+72wPELT, Micron PC100-8E{128mb) ,[email protected]\210 ,linskys 10/100, 3Com 10/100.
Win98se

BladeRunner

BladeRunner

Silent & Cool.....
Athlon T-bird 1000Mhz @ 1250Mhz "Artificially cooled"
Abit KT7 Raid
256mb Mushkin PC133
4x IBM GXP75 15.3 gig in a Raid 0/1
Asus v7700 Geforce2 GTS, 220/390
Soundblaster Live
Enermax 550Watt PSU
Win 98SE, Direct X 8 & Nvidia beta detonator 6.49

E

Earl Hicksberry

What exactly is artificial cooling anyway. I don't hear of that very much. Who's got a water cooled system out there?

B

bobodabear

I'd say I was pretty cool. Except for when I've had to many sour candies like in this pic.

------------------
-AKA 'The Tool Man"
-Case modding is a lifestyle!
-Why would you paint a duck green?

R

Rainbow Six

A heat pipe is a copper tube with a vacuum inside it. In the vacuum is water, which since there is no Atmospheric pressure, ie air, the water boils. Steam has a ton of thermal properties, among them the ability to hold tremendous amounts of heat... then moving them to the heat sinks.

Remember, putting your hand in 100c water is better than putting your hand in 100c steam

Hey Psyduck: do you know how many watts of heat the celeron pumps out? a 56watt on 12v seems a bit... not enough?

------------------
A man is offered either infinite wisdom, or infinite money. He chooses the wisdom, thinks for a minute, and realizes he should have taken the money.

T

TNproud2b

B

buy-sell-buy

Geez - what impressive pictures of the xeon. I guess you live with the machine, ah :) I am a novice, when compared to the extremes all of you cooling fanatics :) I have a tower case, which I am planning to add better cooling. I want your comments on the below. I can expect ambient temperatures here in SF bay area to get as hot as 95 deg. Farenheit. (about 35 C) in summer. My K6-3 can handle upto 65 C. What do u think about using 5 fans , as below, all powered from my 300W supply.

1. 120mm TOYO fan (the only big fan at Frys), located at bottom front, with intake of about 75 CFM !! I expect the intake to be reduced by my airfilter to about 50 CFM.

2. 50mm Cooler Master fan, used as intake, on the rear of the case, in line with where the CPU is located - I read that AMD noticed significant temp. reductions with addition of a fan in this location.

3. CyberCooler (40mm) and heatsink on top of my overclocked K6-3 ([email protected], 2.4v) - this CPU performs better than many K6-2 or Celeron running at 500 because of the built it cache.

4. A tiny fan located near CPU area that is used to push the hot air from CPU fan upwards, in the vertical tower case.

5. A 80mm exhaust fan that is rigged in a hole I created at the top surface of the tower case, to pump out hot air collecting at top of towercase.

6. 60mm exhaust fan in the 300W power supply.

Is this a overkill, with that 75 CFM intake ? Should I be spending money on a peltier instead ? I am a little nervous about peltiers, as I am not that experienced with overclocking and besides, I don't want to buy a different size peltier, for $30 a pop each, everytime I change mobo-CPU combo.

Thanks for all replies.

------------------
Please note that I don't check my email much at above address.