Onboard ethernet and wireless adapter hell!

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
I am running a JetWay JI31GM4-LF with Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit, and I have just had a hell of a time keeping the network working. At first it was just after most reboots of the machine the onboard ethernet controller is unable to find a network, and so far the only way I have found to resolve the issue is to uninstall it, reboot, and wait for it to re-install the driver. Then the problem seemed to resolve for a while on it's own but now it is back with a vengeance!

I was thinking it may have just been a problem with the driver, but I started using a Linksys WUSB54GSC v.2 wireless adapter and it does the same thing sometimes! I use a F5D8236-4 v.2, and that is plugged into a single port Vonage device (that is a wired router too),and a cable modem. With my last AMD machine, I never had any issues at all with the router and modem. Rarely even needed to restart the damn thing, so I suspect the router is not the issue. I am also assuming that based on that power cycling the router and even both routers AND the cable modem does not resolve the issue. The only fix is an uninstall of the troubled network adapter and a second re-boot, which is annoying as hell!

So the only conclusion I seem to be able to come to is that there has to be something screwed up with my Vista install. I am using Vista Service Pack 2 if that has any bearing on things. The only recourse I can think of is yet another Vista re-install and I really do NOT want to go there! So if anyone has any idea how I might fix the issue short of starting over yet again (I just recently installed it the last time), I would surely appreciate any suggestions!

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
I actually did do that and as the wireless is also giving me the same problem I don't think the problem is at all driver related. I think there is something screwy in my networking but I'll be damned if I can figure out what it is.

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
Vista is a decent system in my experience, after service pack one of course, though for all I know the second one might be the problem now?!?

I have begun to see that some of my initial suspicions may have been wrong though. It may well be the router and/or the wireless adapter that is causing me grief. I built another Vista system and tried to use the same wireless adapter, and have had horrific luck, and so both Vista systems will work some of the time with the adapter, but frequently drop the connection and it is a pain to get it back.

The thing that confuses me, is that on my everyday PC (the one with the Jetway board), the onboard LAN has had trouble at times, much like this wireless adapter. Much less often than with the wireless but trouble all the same.

The one thing I do differently than some folks is that I always install just the drivers for all my devices from the device manager. I hate all that bloatware that comes with all the network devices and have always opted for driver only installations, but now I question myself as to whether installing the full system that comes with the hardware might solve the issue? If I figure anything I will post, and I mean to try that. In the mean time just looking for anyone's ideas still.

Thanks for the ideas anyway Shinma.

A

athi

vista have been known to have problems with older hardware, especially routers. from my reading, some of it could be tied to the new network protocols implemented in vista.

i worked on a soho network with all xp and 1 vista pc where all the xp pc were fine but the vista pc was unable to get on the network (nic or wlan). problem was solved by upgrading the router to a newer linksys model.

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
Well for my Linksys WUSB54GSC v.2, on Vista Home Premium 64 bit, I did the full install from setup.exe. To my delight and amazement it didn't put the Linksys network nazi software in control of the network. I have not had any disconnect or adapter issues since either, but this thing is just sporadic enough that I would ask the powers that be not to insert "resolved" into my subject line until I can say this after say a week?

A

athi

The one thing I do differently than some folks is that I always install just the drivers for all my devices from the device manager. I hate all that bloatware that comes with all the network devices and have always opted for driver only installations, but now I question myself as to whether installing the full system that comes with the hardware might solve the issue?
i feel the same about all the crapwares that come bundled with the hardware. sound card is about the only hardware that i install the vendor packaged software on.

what is really annoying now is the way that the hardware/software vendors are hiding browser/tool bar in with the default installation package. it's really annoying having to do a custom install just to parse out the garbage.

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
Well it stopped being able to connect after a re-boot, but all I had to do was uninstall it in device manager without checking the remove software box, and it reinstall automatically and I was back online without another re-boot. I think it must also have a lot to do with the 64 bit Vista versions. It seems there are very few networking adapters that seem to work in 64 bit systems at all.

Associates