Onboard digital (optical or coax) vs. x-fi

B

biglilsteve

are you talking about the onboard SPDIF on your motherboard? there isnt a difference in signal quality from the SPDIF on a PCI sound card and that on a motherboard?

wrathchild_67

wrathchild_67

Hidden Member
biglilsteve said:
are you talking about the onboard SPDIF on your motherboard? there isnt a difference in signal quality from the SPDIF on a PCI sound card and that on a motherboard?
Maybe, just maybe in terms of signal to noise ratio. Most of the lastest high def. codecs on motherboards have a good enough SPDIF output. All you need is a straight 2.0 stream, preferably in 24bit if your receiver supports it. Let the receiver do the work the soundcard traditionally used to do. Although some receivers will not upmix a 24bit 96khz stream to multichannel. It would be a stright digital passthrough, but arguably could give the best sound quality (i.e. a true 1:1 digital transfer) for audio purists.

krupted

krupted

wrathchild_67 said:
I don't think anyone has mentioned that a decent home theater receiver $350 and up can already upmix into Dolby Digital or DTS using its onboard DSP.
never really thought of that. its been a while since ive been into the reciever market, it only makes sense they can do that now, at least the affordable ones i mean. hell im still satisfied with my pro logic surround :p

Associates