Olympic Hockey

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
The Olympics is a party for the rich, and it's run to keep the IOC brass and their national reps in luxury. Which is why I only wanted to watch the hockey and curling.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Well curling is pretty much a Canadian thing. Those of us in the U.S. don't really get it. Besides, we would use vacuum cleaners instead of brooms.:)

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
It takes a while to understand curling because so much of it is strategy, about half that and half making the shots. I'm getting interesting in actually trying it, but my work schedule involves so many evenings and weekends, it's another idea for the future. It took a lot of watching, most of it at work, before I began to understand it.

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
The Olympics is a party for the rich, and it's run to keep the IOC brass and their national reps in luxury. Which is why I only wanted to watch the hockey and curling.
That's part of what's it's turned into over the past 10 years or so. :mad:

The biggest problem I have is that even after all these years the US Government still doesn't support the Olympic athletes while other Countries Governments support them fully.

So it's like a party for the rich here and some really good athletes never even get a shot to get into the Olympics because of it. :rolleyes:

It's like when I used to Bowl Professionally, the only real difference between me and they guys you see on TV was the sponsors, I just didn't have the money to spend or the resources that the ones with the sponsors did.

Those guys you see on TV have a team of support people drilling balls like crazy until they get it just perfect for the shot at that time.

People just don't have the money to drill 30 or 40 balls every tournament, or the time to keep running back to drill their own stuff while it's going on.

Believe me there is a big difference when one guy is shooting 220's and the other one is shooting 250's all day, both are in the pocket. ;)

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
the US Government still doesn't support the Olympic athletes while other Countries Governments support them fully
That used to be the case for the Soviet bloc countries, but that's long gone. Canada increased funding this Olympics with an emphasis on those who had a good chance at medals, but many apparently still have to get by on little or nothing.

While the US gov't does not support the athletes directly, there is a deal between the IOC and the US that funnels back a portion of the huge US TV rights money. That is a big reason why US athletes have had an advantage over many other countries for years. They didn't get gov't money, but they were getting money. How it's distributed I don't know -- some sports may have come up short.

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
That used to be the case for the Soviet bloc countries, but that's long gone. Canada increased funding this Olympics with an emphasis on those who had a good chance at medals, but many apparently still have to get by on little or nothing.

While the US gov't does not support the athletes directly, there is a deal between the IOC and the US that funnels back a portion of the huge US TV rights money. That is a big reason why US athletes have had an advantage over many other countries for years. They didn't get gov't money, but they were getting money. How it's distributed I don't know -- some sports may have come up short.

IMO the Governments should support the Athletes 100% because they are representing those said counties in a World Competition.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I think it should be specific to individuals. Now that professionals are allowed in the games, why do they need to be supported? Personally I don't support the idea of professional athletes in the games. This is all due to the former Soviet Union, and their use of professional hockey players, manipulating their status so they could be deemed amateurs.

jankerson

jankerson

Super Moderator
I think it should be specific to individuals. Now that professionals are allowed in the games, why do they need to be supported? Personally I don't support the idea of professional athletes in the games. This is all due to the former Soviet Union, and their use of professional hockey players, manipulating their status so they could be deemed amateurs.
They shouldn't allow professionals in the games IMO.

Associates