Older desktop motherboard boot from USB

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Gigabyte GA-M785M-S2H motherboard, AMD X2 3800+ cpu

Currently has Open Suse 11.1 x64, trying to install Linux Mint from a usb stick, and it's not booting. I checked the usb stick in an old x86 Thinkpad to test it and it booted and stuck at the logo screen, expected since the install file is x64, but I think this confirms that the file on the stick is bootable.

The Gigabyte is bios of course, not UEFI, and among its boot options are five usb options: hdd, LS-120, Zip, floppy and cdrom. Tried both cdrom and hdd without success -- not even the LM logo screen, so I don't think it's booting.

Any ideas short of burning the file to a dvd?

Last edited:
DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Thanks Midknyte, I'll read that page. I tried a Win boot usb against all the bios options with the same result, and then burned a dvd. Haven't touched that computer in several years, so the obvious option is to flash the bios to the latest and see if Gigabyte has bothered to update that bios. Installed Mint 17 Mate on one of the partitions; not sure if it's finished yet.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
I can forget flashing the bios. The motherboard doesn't exist on Gigabyte's site and can't even be found on google. Some manufacturers used to at least have an achive for older gear. Can't find one on Gigabyte's site.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
And you're sure that's the correct MB model #? Did it come out of an OEM system?

They don't usually add features, so a BIOS update probably wouldn't help anyway.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
And you're sure that's the correct MB model #? Did it come out of an OEYM system?

They don't usually add features, so a BIOS update probably wouldn't help anyway.
You got it. I had read the model number while it was upside down in the case and mistook an S for a 5. Sent off a support query to Gigabyte and got a quick response pointing me to the correct one.

I would have flashed the bios when I built it if there were newer available. There are only 3 bios and number 2 fixes a usb issue. Funny that, because it's doing a file copy now at usb 1.1 instead of usb 2.0. The Mint install did not go well, so I'm saving files and then will repartition the hdd and start again.

Associates