OLD monitor

S

Saan

I have a very old monitor that just keeps on ticking.I will be purchasing a new computer soon, and I just want to know when it would be in my best interest to upgrade to a new one.The monitor is a

Gateway EV 700
purchased in 1996

It came brand new with my state of the art Pentium Pro 200 mhz system back in the day, if that says anything.;)

I am willing to use it until it blows up,but can it keep up with a high-end gaming computer(refresh rates,picture quality,etc.), or should I just buy a new monitor too?

Justintime

Justintime

As far as i see it can do 1024x768 at 75Hz which is decent for games, plus 17" is ok, i'd say use it till it departs the world :D

golferadam

golferadam

Yeah, that EV700 seems to be a pretty robust monitor. But TeeDub is right, larger does make a difference.

S

Saan

Yes, the EV700 is humming right along.When it does ride into the sunset though, should I just upgrade to a 20+ inch CRT, or try an LCD?I use my computer mostly for gaming, and I have read that LCDs have a little trouble with flickering on some games.What do you guys recommend, a 20+ inch CRT, OR a LCD around the same size?I know the LCD is more expensive, but I`ll just buy what is best for my setup.Thanks for all of the input guys!

Justintime

Justintime

LCDs are coming aways, hopefully by then flat screen will have matured properly to be good with games.