OK Guys - URGENT Advice Needed (16:50 GMT deadline)

T

TheDaishi

Anyone built/maintained a Beowulf before?

Yes? Good!

I have my eye on a GB£75 16port Full Duplex 10Mbs Switch (2 100/10 ports)

Any one think this is a worthwile purchase for my 16 x 120Mhx Beowulf I'm gonna build?

Details of this product are Here

Cheers Guys!

------------------
James Neave
[email protected]
Brunel University

Psyduck

Psyduck

Someone told me that 100Mbps switch is the minimum, Gbps was ideal etc etc. I would've thought that this would be equally so for 16 computers.

T

TheDaishi

Yeah, anyway, it's gone up to 150 with a resrve price of 235 (whatever that means).

I can getta 100/10 16 pt switch for 350 from dabs...

------------------
James Neave
[email protected]
Brunel University

S

S_Klass

Originally posted by TheDaishi:
Yeah, anyway, it's gone up to 150 with a resrve price of 235 (whatever that means).
That pretty much means that if no one bids over $235, the seller does not have to sell the item as it's below his desired selling price. IMHO, Reserve pricing sucks as it defeats the entire purpose of auction selling.

------------------
-=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

T

TheDaishi

He's a fool if he thinks he'll get £235 for it, a full 16pt 100/10BaseT Duplex Switch by the same manufacturer is only 302 NEW!

------------------
James Neave
[email protected]nel.ac.uk
Brunel University

L

LaoChe

I agree. What is the deal with 10Mb ports? I have 4 10/100 ports and I am not impressed with the speed! I want some Gb transfers!

T

TheDaishi

Well, at full-duplex, it'll get 20Mbs thoughput per-port, regardless of network load. This would be great, but not a £235. That's just silly. IF it had stayed at 75, I probably would have bought it.

200Mbs throughput it just so much sexier

120Mhz Cpu's.... DOH!

200Mbs x 16 =3.2Gb/s :cool:~~

Doesn't the word (?) Giga just sound so lovely?

But think about it. It 10 years time, our 1 Gigahertz PC's are gonna sound pathetic to their Flentiar X2214 650Ghz Acorn's (
)

(Oh Man, I only 8845 WU's this week! And I only found 17 of ET's mobile calls)

Just like Acorn/BBC Model B 32K (2Mhz!)
Compared to a PIII600E

------------------
James Neave
[email protected]
Brunel University

Associates