Odd network shutdown issue and a question?!?

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
OK so I recently did a re-install of Vista due to some corruption of files and it turned out easier than tracing the problem. Now though, when the computer has been going a while sometimes the network will be lost and the built in LAN (JetWay JI31GM4-LF), cannot find any network until I uninstall the onboard NIC, and then reinstall it but after that it is fine again at least for a while.

The other question is, because I do not have a spare PCI slot I have installed a USB wireless adapter. I am considering a USB Ethernet adapter too if the issue persists. Right now I am running both the wireless and the onboard NIC, and I was just wondering if the two being enabled both at once can at all speed up my connection, or is it just a redundancy thing?

Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones

Administrator
Look in Device Manager-> Network Adapter properties->Power Managerment and disable it.

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
Look in Device Manager-> Network Adapter properties->Power Managerment and disable it.
Whao! Not sure what you mean? I'd like to use it if anyone has any idea how to stop this issue. I should mention I run Vista Home Premium x64. It also doesn't seem to noticeable affect anything having both the wireless and wired working at the same time.

Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones

Administrator
Now though, when the computer has been going a while sometimes the network will be lost and the built in LAN (JetWay JI31GM4-LF), cannot find any network
If this happens after you step away from the pc - it's possible your NIC is going to sleeep. And turing OFF the sleep/power mgmt stuff will help;)

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
It has not happened since, but I did purchase a USB ethernet device, and much to my surprise it is USB 1.1 (it never occurred to me it wouldn't be 2.0). I am pretty sure I remember hearing that a cable modem doesn't exceed 10MB/S anyway (USB 1.1 is 12MB/S?). I know if I was sending files over my home network this damn thing would be slow as hell, but for connectivity to the internet will I see any difference? I'd just test it but it is still in one of those bubble packs from Newegg and I am still considering sending it back.

Oh and my cable modem is a Linksys and is DOCSIS 2.0 compliant if that makes any difference. I also run a Vonage (single) device which is unfortunately a router and then a 4 port Belkin wireless router.

Last edited:
markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
In fact this is my specific modem although I don't see anywhere that it is easy to find out that particular tidbit of info....

Oddly though the modem model number matches but it looks nothing like the one pictured. It has that same ugly blue look of most of their routers I have learned to hate so much!

Associates