O/C'ed Computers?

R

reeftank

I am often asked by my friends, just what is it you do with all that power in that computer of yours. I guess I am possing the same question to all of you. My usual answer is, "I plan on launching the next Space Shuttle."

------------------
"Close to the edge, down by the River"

Baloneyflaps

Baloneyflaps

Super Moderator
I like playing games at high res and I also render 3D animations.

But for 90% of the time I use my computer, I could definitely be just fine with a third of the horsepower I use.

R

reeftank

I would have to say most of it goes to photo manipulation, other wise I have it because I can!!

------------------
"Close to the edge, down by the River"

Leoslocks

Leoslocks

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I launched Taskmanager and watched the Performance tab while doing normal stuff and was suprized at how little I stressed the machine.

Seldom load more than 150 meg of ram and the cpu spikes are generally at 25%. Sure the cpu jumps to 100% while starting anything. . . .

Maybe I should load some photos to manipulate. . . Otherwise I am using 4 browser windows, maybe 6 other applications going on. Bummed myself out. . . don't even feel like upgrading . . . .

[This message has been edited by Leoslocks (edited 02-17-2002).]

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

I hardly have a powerhouse, but compiling homemade quake maps usually takes a few minutes, so every little bit helps.

That, and my Athlon helps keep my appartment toasty at night.

------------------
"Going with the flow" may just take you to the sewer.

USSVoyager

USSVoyager

Excuse the name
The benefits from overclocking for me is that my games run better and I can convert stuff faster. The reason I overclocked is because it is something for (almost) nothing

------------------
Gin - The driver's choice

R

redsolar

United Devices cancer research, DivX encoding, MP3 Encoding. FTP server, DCC server. 3D/2D Games, duh. Statistic analysis software. Duh, there is a lot of things i do on my CPU, and i bet my power helps me.
/me thinks the question about excess power and what to do with it is quite weird to even ask, especially in this forum

http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=B6FDA5D2-1CF8-4CEF-A25D-37BA71581EEB

------------------
Real_Men_Do_Not_Use_Space

grover

grover

Ex pert
divx compression is about the only thing I do that I need this much power for, and, frankly, I don't care that much about divx compression to blow $500 on an upgrade like I did. I certainly didn't need to overclock my Duron 650, or tear it out and throw in a watercooled Athlon [email protected]
Part of the reason was that mystical "1000MHz" that was just out of my reach with the Duron but just mean oh so much! (best POST with the Duron was at 978 but fastest stable was 850MHz)

When people as what I do on my PC that I need a watercooled 1.3GHz, I tell them "I don't *need* to watercool my PC, I just love to tinker! I enjoy stuff like that
"

------------------
Asus A7V
AXIA T-Bird 1GHz @ 1.30GHz

Todd a

Todd a

Mostly 3D games. I don't overclock my AthlonXP because I get no performance gain because of my GeForce2 GTS (overclocked to 210/410). My Duron 600 on the other hand got a hugh jump in perfromance that was noticable in just about any application. I went from 6x100 to 8x112 (896Mhz) and tweeked it to the max (even have the memory running 149Mhz cas2, t1...).

I have overclocked my AthlonXP to 1.5 and 1.53Ghz just fine, but the extra heat for no performance was not worth it. I just overclock to run some benchmarks every now and then.

------------------
AthlonXP 1600+ @1.5Ghz
FOP32-1 Mod w/80mm (30db)
Epox 8KHA+ KT266A
256MB Crucial DDR266
GeForce2 GTS (210/410)
Sound Blaster Audigy
Antec SX-630 Case (mod'd)
TTGI TT-350-SS 370w PS