Nvidia and UT,Quake3 don't mix?? AMD???

C

Cold__Steel

I am about at my wits end with Unreal Tounament locking up(Quake3 also at times). I can run it in software mode . But it looks terrible.When I play with the D3 drivers from Nvidia. I get lockups at random(1min to 1hour)and I have to hit the reset button. Ctrl etc.. doesn't work. A sound loop will be there as the screen freezes.
I have re-installed new drivers for everything. I have disabled many settings and changed them back because the lock up was still there. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.
Cold Steel

------------------
1 GHz AMD Athlon T-Bird
Asus V7700 GeForce 2 32MB
GTS Deluxe
CreativeLabs X-Gamer Live
Windows ME
256MB Crucial SDRAM pc100
16X Creative Labs CD-Rom
4x4x16 Yamaha CD Burner
AST 7L Monitor
WD 45 gig 5400rpm
Antec case w 300watt PS
Supra Express 56K ISA
Modem

GOSHARKS

GOSHARKS

what kind of motherboard do you have? what brand and model?

also, have you tried reinstalling via's drivers (for the mobo)

------------------
Visit my website!
look for me on AIM as gosanjose or on ICQ as #46997155

S

Striker2/16

I read on an UT forum that these random lockups can be caused by Directsound. Disabling Directsound in the UT preferences stopped the lockups I was having.

Changing the AGP from 4X to 2X also stopped some lockups I was having.

O

outside looking in

Bah. Erm... Eh? Bleh!
An overclocked video card can cause that kind of screen lockup with looping sound when it goes kaput.

------------------
Those who fear the facts will forever try to discredit the fact finders. - Daniel C. Dennett

E

ElfHoe

most likely thats not the video card. When i had my V3 3K and it would lock up, only the screen would lock up. No sound loops. It seemed like i could still move in the game but could not see anything, from the sound of it anyway.

It's something else casusing it.

------------------
The BSOD is my friend.

P

Pelvis

Is it locking up, or having the blue screen of death, if its the bsd, then check your memory, by the way, are you playing this online when this happens?

------------------
if you are listenin to me.....you've got problems

C

Cold__Steel

I have an Abit KT7 Raid Mobo with Raid disabled. I will try the direct sound disable . I don't get the blue screen of death. My game locks up off line and on line. It doesn't seem to matter. Also I can play it for about an hour at best. I ran it in the software mode for around 3 hours but that sucks. thanks all, Cold Steel

------------------
Abit Kt7 Raid
1 GHz AMD Athlon T-Bird
Asus V7700 GeForce 2 32MB
GTS Deluxe
CreativeLabs X-Gamer Live
Windows ME
256MB Crucial SDRAM pc100
16X Creative Labs CD-Rom
4x4x16 Yamaha CD Burner
AST 7L Monitor
WD 45 gig 5400rpm
Antec case w 300watt PS
Supra Express 56K ISA
Modem

J

JollyRoger

I have a [email protected] Duron on a KT7 without RAID, a GeForce 256DDR card and 128Megs of Crucial PC133.

I have never tried UT, but Quake III is VERY stable and VERY fast on my machine so that is not a bad combo.

Also, Quake III was one of only 5 games which would run stablly on my K6-III +GeForce system and that kiddy was very very unstable, so there is nothing wrong with the GeForce+AMD+QuakeIII combo in particular.

------------------
AHHH, I think my computer's got a Virus!

Oh no, that's Windows 98

C

Cold__Steel

Hey all thanks for the info. I disabled my direct sound. Also disabled my Windows ME autoupdater. I changed my cache size to 64MB. So far UT has done excellent. Only one crash and it was something I done. Online and off.Now on to Quake 3.