New forum / Change existing forum

I know there was a thread about this some time ago, but recent events have led me to open the discussion again.

Yesterday, I referred 2 persons to HWC, one was having a mysterious hardware problem, the other wanted information about RAID controllers. Neither of those 2 bothered to register and post their questions. The reason ? A couple of threads in the general forum, mostly the gun control issue.

The general forum is the place most of the people visit first when they come to this site. I don't mind the off-topic subjects that are posted, since they are often interesting and entertaining. But

some threads might be considered provocative by the average 1-post people who drop by to ask a hardware-related question.

I would suggest that we get a forum specifically designed for "social" posting, debates and other topics that aren't related to hardware. This could be a private forum, or you could hide it so that it wouldn't be immediately visible to the new members.

All members, please feel free to comment on this suggestion.

And remember, the description of the general forum says general hardware discussion.

I just checked the forum today. I'm definitely not sending people with hardware problems here any more. If they look at the topics in the general forum before going to the support forum, they'll think I've lost my mind.

[This message has been edited by 1 (edited 04-06-2000).]

fx

fx

Good idea. Maybe there should be a Social forum and then the more hardware related posts can be in the General forum.

2minkey

i think you guys are right. it would be better to have a "non-hardware discussion" board as well. seems like lately there have been some interesting issues in "general" but sometimes it does feel a little weird replying to that stuff on a hardware board.

this assumes that the membership at large thinks non-hardware issues belong to this site AT ALL. i don't know the answer to that.

T

Tiberia

I agree. Things like gun-control, general "Us vs. Them" stuff should be posted in a forum properly labelled as such (i.e. a non-technical forum).

I would even volunteer to mod (not sure if thats a wise idea in a forum like that tho), or help out by making sure posts dont get outta hand.

------------------
// Black Holes are where God divided by zero //

T

Tiberia

I would debate the necessity of such a board though - do we want that in a place like HWC? Or should people who want to talkabout guns, nukes, old women and parenting go somewhere else entirely?

------------------
// Black Holes are where God divided by zero //

S

SadSadPanda

Yep theres already a place for that. Force3d.com
They have a private forum for talking about nothing. I frankly, find it stupid.

------------------
Please don't provoke the poor people..........

Well, I've previously told people I know in real life to visit this site when they need technical information. I feel that I can no longer do this, when the first thread they see is a debate on whether marijuana should be legalized or not.

At the very least let's get topics like that out of the general forum. It has become more and more difficult to find threads with pc-related contents there, and as I said, that is the forum most of the new people check out first.

S

SadSadPanda

I admit Ive done it too. But only once or twice. I think that we all have different views, and people think that a hardware forum is a good place for it.

------------------
Please don't provoke the poor people..........

C

chuck1

I agree, the General Hardware Forum is not the place to discuss Political Crap. There should be a Scocial Forum! The General Forum would then be what it used to be, for general hardware questions.

Thanks.

------------------
I will KILL for my KRAFT DINNER!!!!!

Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams

I agree with you CHUCK.

I believe a forum for social issues is helpful for promoting a sense of community among those who visit frequently which I think is a good thing. Not everyone does though so keeping it in a forum of its own will make it easier to ignore for those who are not interested.

F

flavio

After you have been here for awhile, it's nice to talk to the people you have gotten to know about other subjects. If people like SadSadPanda find that stupid, then they are being ridiculous. It seems as though just about any hardware question should fit in one of the existing forums, so I don't really see the need for a new one.

I'm not 100% against the idea though.

C

chuck1

I don't mind the off topics, but it is too much when we have the political posts that have inaproprite topics.

1966Ford

I vote for the addition of a forum where you can talk about anything BUT computers. If there isn't one, the stuff is just going to keep showing up in the general forum. But it IS a general forum. I mean there is also support, I have no problem with the off topic questions.

------------------
I hate Macintosh.

D

daemon2525

Really old dude
I have also referred people to this forum , I claimed it to be THE place to get your questions answered.

Now I have to say "as long as you don't go to the genereal forum" .

I am a little ashamed of where we have gone lately.

T

Toolbox

Quantum Physics
I agree, I have gotten quite bored at the General Forum with all the very off topic threads.

A social forum should be put up so all of this garbage can go there.

Of course, that forum would be boring and maybe very few will go there but at least the General Forum will be nice to visit again.

G

GREGORY

Toolbox...

You are the moderator of the General Forum and as such have the power to determine what the content of that forum should be.

You can make a statement to the members that certain post topics do not belong there and start locking the threads that do show up that you don't approve of.

I'm sure all of the respected members will support you in any actions you may take.

That's what I would do if I felt the way you do.

Good Luck.

R

Rich

Two more cents for me.. Yet another new thread from a confused new member complaining about off topic posts in the General forum.
http://discussions.hardwarecentral.com/Forum5/HTML/005565.html

We have been through this subject so many times that it is indeed frustrating.
If we cant have a regular off topic forum then I suggest at least changing the discription of the General forum to include off topic posts.

Rich