new cpu crashed ???S

W

weissmertz

i have a gigabyte p35 ds3l w/ a pentium d 925 @3.67 runnin w7 build 7000 i recently upgraded my memory to 4 gb ballistics 8500 and a used cpu 2.66 4mb l2 1333fsb. good for about a day .i was oc it to only 3.2 .then it died i guess . my daughter was on the pc at the time it shut down and restarted but would only get to the gigabyte screen .so i put the old cpu back in and it booted up but the background ended up black and it had an aim side bar .everyone that uses the pc says they havent used aim on the pc i have re formatted an reistalled w7 but the cpu still wont boot .when a cpu crashes can this happen or am i dealin w/ a virus or somethin

edhe62

edhe62

Initially it sounded like you may have burned your CPU but with the AIM thing going on I'd be scanning my machine with everything at my disposal.

W

weissmertz

yeah thats why im here .i have reformatted the hd reinstalled windows w/ the original cpu and it works. but the other cpu only gets to the gigabyte screen truth be told i think she was on a p2p website but how could that crash a cpu

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Sounds like you killed the cpu. Did you use the stock heatsink? Temps can climb rapidly, especially on Pentium Ds. Those things got HOT.

W

weissmertz

i have a zallman 9800 i think its a large round w/ three or six pipes the cpu that died was a c2d 2.66 133fsb at 3.2 the pentium d is a 3.0 that i used to get to 4.35 but now i can only get it to 3.75

glussier

glussier

Did you reset the bios when you installed the c2d? At what vcore were are you running your P4D?

W

weissmertz

i tried clearing the bios by taking out the battery for a day .the p4d vcore is 1.3 i think

N

nihil

Hi,

I think that Leoslocks might be onto something there. Unfortunately when stuff goes south it doesn't always give you the magic smoke and pack up entirely. Hardware can be damaged and still appear to function at least partially.

My suggestion would be to test the PSU, as it may be delivering reduced power. This might be enough for one processor and not another? It might also explain why you can only o/c to 3.75, when you used to get 4.35?

Good luck! :)

N

nihil

The best method is to swap it out for one with a known suitable capacity. If the box works then, the old PSU is defective.

Otherwise use a multimeter to see what the PSU is delivering. The potential problem with that is that you will not be testing it under load.

Another approach would be to try the processor in another machine. If it works then the probability is that it is the PSU in the suspect machine.

Have you tried the suspect processor in the same machine without overclocking?

W

weissmertz

yes it just gets to the boot screen . i have cleared the cmos before reinstalling .also when i try to get into the bios w/ the suspect cpu it goes to a black screen then to the boot screen

N

nihil

Well,

If the CPU was totally fried I don't think that you should get to the boot screen. That doesn't mean that it hasn't been damaged in some way, but my favourite suspect is the power supply.

If you can't find a way of testing them then you might consider taking them to a repair shop.............I would just try the processor as it should be fairly easy to test and if it checks out then just get another power supply.

I guess it is a matter of cost. Can you borrow a suitable power supply from another machine?

W

weissmertz

well i havent tried a power supply but i did get the cpu to start working again. in the device manager i had a ! warning it said a sm bus controller conflict or somethin so i googled it and downlowdwed drivers from microsoft. installed failed cpu and it booted right up i think the pc crashed because of a virus and it deleted the drivers for the sm bus controller . is that a conspiracy theory or what do you think happened

W

weissmertz

yes i did reinstall the drivers and it works fine now but what do you think caused the situation i think it was a virus weird stuff happened after i reinstalled original cpu to get it to work before i reinstalled drivers . what caused me to need to reinstall drivers????

Leoslocks

Leoslocks

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Data corruption caused by OC, driver errors, memory errors et al could cause a similar problem.

Associates