Networking problems

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
Recently I was asked by a friend to assist him in networking his three computers. One desktop is wired to the router while two laptops are using wireless connections. XP home on all three. I shared everything as usual, including the printers and certain folders on each machine. Problem: The wired desktop cannot see either of the laptops, one laptop can see the desktop and printers, and the other laptop can see neither of the other two machines at all. Is there somethig in the wifi that needs to be opened? I am not familiar with wireless at all, but I did assist another buddy a few years ago with roughly the same setupthat worked fine. Any ideas?

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Wired or wireless makes no difference. You still need to follow the same rules

Are the usernames/passwords the same?
Do all systems have the same workgroup name?
Since they are all xp home, simple file sharing is on by default.

Do any systems have firewall apps?

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
Wired or wireless makes no difference. You still need to follow the same rules

Are the usernames/passwords the same?
Do all systems have the same workgroup name?
Since they are all xp home, simple file sharing is on by default.

Do any systems have firewall apps?
The one that sees nothing and cannot be seen is using Norton but i am not sure to what degree. It may be just an A/V program. I did disable the windows firewalls to see if they had any influence but nothing was gained. I went thru and created the network using the network wizard on all the machines so that they would all have the same workgroup. That's what is so frustrating about this. I've never seen this problem before, especially when the wired pc can be seen by one laptop and not the other.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Please double check the workgroups and usernames. Don't assume anything.

Can you at least ping the computers from each other? If you can't even ping, then you won't be able to view/share anything.

The*Q*

The*Q*

Been Around A While!
Please double check the workgroups and usernames. Don't assume anything.

Can you at least ping the computers from each other? If you can't even ping, then you won't be able to view/share anything.

Haven't tried pinging. Ran out of time. I've never seen this before so I'm not familiar with changing work groups if thats where the problem lies. I could have sworn they all went to MSHOME when I created the network connection. I'll have to check again but they are out of town for a bit now.

Associates