Net connection

W

weirdo

ok, kinda brain dead here for some reason...

Got an old laptop and have a wireless card for it. Got it connected, and Win XP "sees" it...connection only reads 11mbps, which sux, but doable...
However...I get no internet connection and can not ping my router. This is new install of XP. I turned off the XP firewall and still no go, along with reboots.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
What about your security settings? If it's only an 802.11b card, it would only support WEP not WPA.

Did you enable MAC address filtering?

Did you enable SSID broadcast?

Make/model of the hardware is helpful.

What SP level of XP did you install?

W

weirdo

What about your security settings? If it's only an 802.11b card, it would only support WEP not WPA.

Did you enable MAC address filtering?

Did you enable SSID broadcast?

Make/model of the hardware is helpful.

What SP level of XP did you install?
Just using WEP, and it a WEP code that was entered.
MAC address filtering is on default whatever that is set to, if you mean inside the router, then it's OFF.
SSID is on...

I'll have to get the make/model when I get home.

SP1 - never streamlined it...

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Did you try disabling WEP to check the connection?

SP1 - never streamlined it...
You mean slipstreamed. You should really upgrade to SP2 or 3. SP2 greatly improved the wifi gui and SP3 added WPA2 support (hotfix for SP2 available for WPA2).

W

weirdo

Did you try disabling WEP to check the connection?

You mean slipstreamed. You should really upgrade to SP2 or 3. SP2 greatly improved the wifi gui and SP3 added WPA2 support (hotfix for SP2 available for WPA2).
opps yeah mistype, haha...yeah it's an old cd that came with the laptop...was just gonna let it get all the updates, but can't connect yet, LOL!

Disable the WEP on the router?

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
was just gonna let it get all the updates, but can't connect yet, LOL!
And you never downloaded the full installers for SP2 or SP3? You need them for the slipstream anyway. I never install SPs over Windows Update.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

Disable the WEP on the router?
Yes you are trying to eliminate possible problems.

W

weirdo

The wireless adapter is a Microsoft broadband Networking wireless notebook adapter MN 520

W

weirdo

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
The wireless adapter is a Microsoft broadband Networking wireless notebook adapter MN 520
What is the make/model of the router? Is it WEP 64-bit or 128-bit? Is there a reason you're not using WPA? The MN520 support WPA, but not WPA2.

I'd still disable WEP on the router just to cover your bases. Up to you.

W

weirdo

What is the make/model of the router? Is it WEP 64-bit or 128-bit? Is there a reason you're not using WPA? The MN520 support WPA, but not WPA2.

I'd still disable WEP on the router just to cover your bases. Up to you.
it's an older LinkSYS 54WRTG...128bit.

I set everything up with WEP when I first got it, and been too lazy to change it to WPA

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
WPA is way easier to set up than WEP. WPA uses passphrases instead of those ridiculously long keys.

Associates