Negitives about the laser mouse

I am looking to buy a microsoft intelli explorer (laser mouse). So far all I have head is that they are great. What are the downfalls of this mouse other than its inflated price tag?

Alright, due to too many complaints about my old sig, I shall not write any more in this sig incase anyone finds this present sig offensive.
Sir Flannel

Sir Flannel

Resident Curmudgeon
Well, the only complaint I've heard is, that if you move it too fast, it doesn't track right on some surfaces. This might be a problem to someone who plays games like Doom (shows how long it's been since *I* played games<g> ), and if you need to move the mouse really quickly it might not work right for you. I am using the Intellimouse Optical, and my father uses the Intellimouse with Ieye, and they work just great for what my father and I use them for... basic computer stuff<g>.

People think I'm evil. I'm not. I have the heart of a small boy, in a jar, on my desk. -Stephen King

I've just bought one also.
It works great and its surprisingly responsive on my mat (Responsiveness depends upon the surface you use it on)

There is one (minor) problem I am having - See main post in Peripherals!
And it is minor, but annoying.

My mouse pad is very colorful and detailed. My intelli mouse eye hasn't skipped a beat. Only negative is that the ball mice are still annoying the hell out me when I use other computers.

The explorer just isn't comfortable for me. The thumb button is also a little high and would be perfect for me if it were a little lower. As Sir Flannel had mentioned, the mouse doesn't perform as well for me in FPS games as I would like.

This is what I don't like about it. I know a lot of others who like it. It's on a third machine that I rarely use now. BTW, I do like the regular intellieye and use it on my main machine when I do 2d stuff and as a backup in case my other mouse goes bad in the middle of a game.

I have a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer, and i have no down talk about it. In games, it runs so smooth, i can't even describe in words. In Unreal Tournament, my Frags started rolling in faster then ever. I use it on a gray mouse pad...old and dirty, and it works great. I have tried to use it just on my desktop, but i think my desk is TOO shiny, cuz it runs funky. but aside from that, it is GREAT.

ohmy, i looooooooove this mouse. i got it for $49 at a computer show. it's sooooo smooth and slick! it feels like it's moving on air! at first, i didn't really like it. it felt all freakified, now i looooooove it. i tried out my other mouse, and it felts so bumpy! you hafta get one of these!

MaH SyStEm:
PIII 450, 128 RAM, i740 (the i740 was last year's best midrange 2d card, so ha!) voodoo2 sli, 4.8X toshiba DVD, 4x4x20 cd-rw

Anyone know how to change the laser color?

Tried to save myself but myself keeps slipping away...

They only have problems with fast movement when the mouse sensitivity is too low. If you push it up it gets rid of the problem.

I think it would be great to have a different coloured LED on the mouse. How about a transparent green mouse with a yellow LED?

It felt a bit strange to me at first, but after a short while felt very comfortable. I use it mostly on a dull, dark surface, but have tried it just about everywhere and found that it is less than perfect on some light colored shiny surfaces. After a few hours use you'll begin to forget about that 'inflated' price tag.

I ended up getting the intellimouse with intellieye. Didn't like the feel of the full Explorer version so I went with the updated version of the intellimouse. Gotta love not having to clean it.