need to uprage sound card and speakers

T

tony8404

Okay i wanna go digital. i have right now an audigy 2 card and creative inspire 5200 series speakers.

I was thinking of going with the audigy 4, Creative Labs X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Sound Card. which is better ?

For speakers i was thinking of going with the creative inspire digital 5500, or the p7800, t6100, or p5800 series creative speakers. Which is better?
Thanks for the help guys, I need to save some cash up first but wanna do the research now. thanks

krupted

krupted

imo you want a bluegears card with a decent low-to-mid-end home theater receiver. you can save money for now by not buying the surround speakers, just get the two fronts to start. in the end it will be a much better setup then any creative prepackaged set.

T

tony8404

what do you sugest then ? i have no idea... what kind of a price range am i looking at? what kinda recievers, speaklers, sound card do you recommend ? thanks...

ThePerson98

ThePerson98

In case you didn't notice, that bluegears card is underlined, being that it's a link.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829127002

That's what krupted put up. Creative doesn't make the all out greatest sound cards. I like my Audigy 2 ZS but I've noticed that the sound quality isn't all amazing, just that it was tons of little toys built on it. And as with everything, toys get old and boring.

That bluegears card looks like a pretty nice card..but I don't have the greatest experience in soundcards either.

krupted

krupted

ThePerson98 said:
I like my Audigy 2 ZS but I've noticed that the sound quality isn't all amazing, just that it was tons of little toys built on it.
its not a bad card, definately not worth spending more money on to upgrade from. when you get into that range of soundcards (mid to high end) its really more a matter of how good your speakers are then anything. although i must admit i can still hear my old montego ddl in my head.... ahhh the memories:D

tony- how involved do you want to go? does something like setting up a budget home theater system scare you? in that case you probably would be happiest with a speaker package like the creatives. although i would suggest a logitech package instead, they have made a lot of happy customers.

T

tony8404

well, to be honest i am only gonna play games and listen to music. so i am not gonna go too deep. I was just wondering cause one of my creative inspire 5200 speakers was next to a fire and is now total loss.

I then thought hey i have not looked at speakers or a sound card in a long time. I was reading again today and heard that the speakers i thought would be good choice turned out bad idea. i wanted to go with creative inspire 5500 digital. i thought hey for 100 dollars cant go wrong. i read the review and someone was saying that the digital was only used with dvd's games would not see the 5.1 . so now i am at the start of speakers again... since you mentioned logitech i will check em out. any recommendations???

but for sound cards i saw a comparison chart today and boy, i didnt see many creative cards on it. i did see one i wanna check into but not sure about it. anyone know anything or how good a turtle beach montego digital is compared to an creative audigy 2 sound card??

If i was to get a sound card that is digital would it only need the audio coaxil for the speakers or does it need optical too? also, would i need a decoder or as long as the card is digital i just have to worry about the speakers being compatible for digital?

krupted

krupted

in my opinion, the montegoDDL produces a much more accurrate tone, and better clarity then the audigy2zs.

so i take it youre looking for a budget 5.1 digital speaker set. i would probably get a set with optical input as most new soundcards support that. im not much into premade speaker packages but im sure others here can recommend something good.

Last edited:
T

tony8404

Yeah i wanna go with a digital 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system digital of course... but since you mentioned optical for speakers which do you know of that are 5.1 with optical in it??? I am really getting into a couple different sets from creative labs... i have been looking at the creative inspire 5500 digital 5.1 with a decoder unit, also the creative 5700 digital also with a decoder unit, i aslo seen creative gd580 digital... but the thing is when ever i try to find out the specs or connections these units have i cannot find anything on creatives web site about it... but then i try to google it and then i find myself more units and get even more confused..

Can anyone help me out here with the speaker part??? i am definitely gonna go with the turtle beach montego ddl sound card.. I wanted to go with the creative 5500 digital but i am not sure if that is the better digital system creative offers.. like i said there is the 5500, 5700, gd850 and god knows how many more. but when i check the reviews they all say there great speakers nothing to help make the decision on any of these... thanks guys

T

tony8404

Well, thanks guys for the help. but i finally made up my mind. I really should have read more to begin with. well since i have done some reading, i decided to go along with the creative inspire 5500 and the auztech xplosion 7.1 sound card. I may still check into some more speakers but for now i like the 5500 tried to find the 5700 couldnt find them. i was also thinking of the gd850 but like i said wanna read some more. but if anyone knows if the gd850 is better then the 5500 or 5700 please let me know.

Associates