Need a good NAS drive

mrdogcat

mrdogcat

Hi,

I currently have two external Western Digital drives (2TB & 4TB) and need more space and need my data on one drive. I initially looked at the My Cloud EX2 8TB but after reading some reviews I'm wondering if it'd be worth going for a drive that can be expanded... Perhaps maybe a 4 bay NAS drive.

At this point I'm happy to have my data stored across multiple drives acting as one (RAID 0) with the potential to have a backup mirror drive in the future.

So my question and requirements:

- What's a good NAS drive that has 4 bays that can go up to 12TB and is reasonably priced? To get up to 8TB I don't really want to go over £400 (is that even possible?!) and would like to leave 2 bays empty for now (ie. only have 2 x 4TB drives in there ready to expand to 12TB - 16TB when I need to.

- For the time being could I buy a diskless NAS and use both the hard drives in the existing WD drives in the bays? Or do the drives need to be identical (model and size) if they're going to be part of a RAID? Could I at least use one of them?

- I'm on a Mac so would have to be Mac compatible first and foremost.

Thanks for your help and sorry if this post makes me sound like a noob.

Steve

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
You can check out reviews here:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/nas/view

At this point I'm happy to have my data stored across multiple drives acting as one (RAID 0) with the potential to have a backup mirror drive in the future.
You can't just add a mirror to a RAID0 array. If anything, you'd need to backup the data to another location, break the RAID0 array, add a third drive, and then create a RAID5 array. Another option would be to create a RAID0+1, but that would require 4 drives.

- What's a good NAS drive that has 4 bays that can go up to 12TB and is reasonably priced? To get up to 8TB I don't really want to go over £400 (is that even possible?!) and would like to leave 2 bays empty for now (ie. only have 2 x 4TB drives in there ready to expand to 12TB - 16TB when I need to.
It depends on the type of RAID you would run. If you plan to do 12TB, that would either be JBOD or RAID0. I would not recommend that for a NAS.

Or do the drives need to be identical (model and size) if they're going to be part of a RAID?
Yes, the drives need to be identical for RAID. You'd need to look at the specifics of the NAS model you plan to buy.

Sorry, I'm not a Mac guy at all.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
The current huge drives are great, but if one dies on you (and if you don't think they do, read the reviews on Newegg) you lose a lot of stuff really quickly. If you don't have it on two separate pieces of hardware, you still don't have backup.

Huge

Huge

Why am I still doing up?
Yeah I was thinking of turning over my green WD drives to red; until I read those reviews :(

Shinma

Shinma

I would have thought the REDs would be safer to use than the GREENs, this is really wacky.
I hope the HGST drives are still using their old designs rather than just rebadged WD.

Huge

Huge

Why am I still doing up?
DERP! Replying to my own reply...
Don't know what happened there.

But did replace my green drives with 4 4TB red drives. WD has upgraded the firmware so hopefully no more dead drives. Installing the last hdd in my nas box (started last Friday; this is not a fast process if you have lots of data). So far no problems.

Last edited:

Associates