My sound disappeared!

L

lardas

Have Acer Aspire PC with built in Realtek HD Audio and my sound went out suddenly. I uninstalled it and rebooted, changed to a known good speaker set, tried all the jacks and nothing...anything i am missing? Thanks.

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

As dumb as it sounds, check your sound control panel to make sure that the mute box is not checked. It happens.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
What's the model number? Desktop or laptop?

Does the sound card show up in device manager? If not, check the bios to make sure it's enabled.

L

lardas

Yes - everything shows up in Device Manager as OK...this is on board I have Acer Aspire AST 690 - UP935A Pentium D, It's Realtek HD and here's what happened...I disconnected everything to move to a new location and I had amplifying equipment plugged in ti the Line In from a Line out on the amp. I replugged everything exactly as it was prior to the move and - no sound. I downloaded new drivers for my Vista Home program from the Realtek website and the configuration i got was a total mismatch so I'm ready to just buy another soundcard at this point.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
What do you mean they weren't compatible with vista? are you sure you got the right download?

L

lardas

Just got a pop up that said the drivers were known to have a compatibility problem with Windows when I unzipped them...no drivers were downloaded as a result. maybe it was the wrong one; I'll try it again.

Last edited:
L

lardas

Tried again...these drivers don't match the system...the config of the ports on the back of the cpu do not match the driver. I believe i burnt the board module out when i reconnected the computer...possible? Please tell me if you know of a good soundcard to get if you want to record and upload...thanks!

L

lardas

yes I downloaded the files, which were marked as Vista specific, from the Realtek site but they did not work either:( I'll try the Googled ZDNet one and then i think i will move on.

Last edited:
L

lardas

Tried the ZDNet downloads and no go, they didn't work., they wouldn't even fully load or unzip. Just froze at about 80 percent downloaded. For whatever reason I don't think I will get this onboard sound back so, what is a good soundcard to buy that is geared to recording live stuff. Thanks for your help midknyte.

Associates