My Mobo supports DDR3 ram at speeds 2133 only if it is O.C'd, how would I O.C. my ram

F

fb280

I am currently running on a MSI motherboard. My motherboard supports RAM speeds up to 2133MHz but only if the RAM is overclocked, but I'm not sure how I would change my settings so that I can get this speed.

This is the RAM that I'm using: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231468

the only option I seem to be able to select in BIOS under "FSB/DRAM Ration" is 1:4 (1600MHz), 1:3.33, 1:2.66, and 1:2

My RAM is currently being run at 16000MHz.

F

fb280

hmm... so my cpu is limiting my max ram speed? that seems to be my understanding of what's going on, but I thought that the AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE would be able to run ram @2133MHz from what I read. Does that mean that the CPU needs to be overclocked to run ram at speeds 2133MHz? I'm afraid of doing OC on my CPU especially on a stock CPU fan :x

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Most current AMD and Intel cpu's can be overclocked at least a modest amount at stock voltage, and a little more with a voltage increase. And if you intend to run at default speed, they can usually be undervolted, motherboard bios permitting.
Doing a lot of reading and research is advised, as the interrelationship of settings between ram and cpu can get complex, and many of the guides or info you'll find when googling are not well written or leave things out that make it confusing for us newbies. Also be aware that some motherboards do not set ram to the timings advertised by the ram manufacturer by default, so double checking the settings in the bios is a must.

A BE processor should give you more flexibility since you can do some of your overclocking by multiplier rather than all by raising the core clock speed, which would also impact the ram.

Associates