my computer is possessed

B

babboy

ok this is a wierd one. something has invaded either my sound card, or was given to me by someone. I'm getting a loud(louder than my vol sett) chirping sound coming out of my speakers. it happens spontaneously, but always has a pattern of an initial chirp, followed by a double-chirp. the sound is like a digital cicada. it is very loud and very annoying. can happen while surfing, or listening to music. it's just some sort of anomole. have uninstalled the soundmax drivers, and re-done but did not help. scanned for viruses and spam. any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thnx... :)

xp
80g ibm
asus p4p800
2g mem
40g store
250g store-external
cd/dvd/rw drive
dvdrw drive

B

Baldy

One suggestion I can think of - on my old speakers I used to get a rhythmical noise similar to what you describe when my daughter used her mobile phone in the next room.

K

Kane17

That is what I was thinking.

Even if I lay my cell phone anywhere near my computer speakers, it occasionally makes some digital "Chirping" through the speakers. Every time someone calls, or every time it synchronizes with its phone server I get Bleeps and Blops. It will catch you off guard if your phone is almost touching the speaker. WOW! it can get loud!!

B

Baldy

For what it's worth, my problem seemed to go away when I got new speakers - got a 3.1. set of Altec Lansing - can't say why other than perhaps the shielding is better on these. Makes you wonder if all those mobile phone signals flying through the air are frying our brains.

K

Kane17

yea, it does make me wonder...espicially since....

I was driving in my car, and I dont have a stereo so I listen to a walkman.

The tape ended and My walkman turned off, yet I left my headphones on because its a hassle to move it while I'm driving.

My phone rang....but I only knew that because the cell phone is apparently powerfull enough to BLAST my totally passive headphones louder than the 2 AA batteries were able to. Yes the digital chirping actually came through on UNPOWERED headphones.

was painful.

Associates