Must See TV?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
This should probably be at least two threads for U.S. versus U.K./Europe members, but I'll start with one: Does anybody have any "appointment television" favorites or shows you make an effort to see each week? Any dark, secret confessions that you're hooked on "CSI" or "The Sopranos" or "Desperate Housewives"?

Me: "The West Wing" (NBC) up until a year or two ago, but not any more; "MI-5" (politically correct American title of BBC's "Spooks"); "House" (Fox). And of course "Aqua Teen Hunger Force."

Eric

Professur

Professur

Naked bungee jumper
I've got 300+ channels of absolutely nothing I'd make an effort to see. The missus and Mum like to browse, maybe watch the local news from Manitoba. Personally, I'd chuck the lot out the nearest window. It would at least give me room for another bookcase.

Martin_89

Martin_89

Top Gear
also like to watch wheeler dealers

thats about it, sometimes some of the american programs such as a bike is born or american chopper is ok.

MuFu

MuFu

ER
Desperate Housewives
The O.C.
Top Gear
Nevermind The Buzzc0cks
Mind, Body & Kick A$$ Moves
Anthing to do with newschool skiing

Has anybody seen the US version of The Office yet? There was a free episode available for a while. Quite funny - not in the same league as the original but much better than I thought it'd be.

Martin_89

Martin_89

Originally posted by MuFu
Has anybody seen the US version of The Office yet? There was a free episode available for a while. Quite funny - not in the same league as the original but much better than I thought it'd be.
no ive never seen that, or even heard of it?

i know they make an american version of top gear as i know a guy that went to see it being filmed and he had already watched it on tv but they just change words like boot to trunk, and accelerator to gas pedal etc

chcr

chcr

lemme offa this ride!!!!!
Must See TV?
None such exists, IMO. That said, I usually catch CSI (the original, the spin-offs are crap) and I don't mind sitting through any of the Law and Order shows. Other that that I like shows about cutting edge science (Nova is frequently pretty good) and woodworking.

Martin_89, sorry to disagree, but IMO watching someone else build a chopper is almost as exciting as watching paint dry. ;)
(Note that my lovely wife feels exactly the same way about woodworking shows.)

Edited for general stupidity.

Martin_89

Martin_89

well because we dont get choppers or any crazy things like that over here i enjoy watching it.

krupted

krupted

wow i guess im on the outside

lately Becker is my favorite- i never liked ted danson but that show is great

also mxc , monster garage, south park, daily show, the bulls and soon to be cubs, conan o brien (the best show host ever)

i can also watch the csi vagas series when im really messed up, same goes with billiards pool on espn2

MuFu

MuFu

Originally posted by Martin_89
no ive never seen that, or even heard of it?
Second episode free promo: http://www.myspace.com/theoffice

Some commentaries:

And though it grates to admit it, the American version of ''The Office'' is very funny -- for viewers who never saw the original series on BBC America.

Luckily for NBC, which bought the rights to the British comedy, only a relatively small number of viewers in the United States have seen the BBC version. Those happy few should try to erase every trace from their brains -- Eternal Sunshine of the Digital Cable Mind -- because the NBC series, though it pales in comparison, is still funnier than any other new network sitcom.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C04E3DB163FF937A15750C0A9639C8B63
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61846-2005Mar23.html

greenfreak

greenfreak

I only caught on to The West Wing when it was on Bravo, and I watched the first five seasons back to back. I was hooked, in a big way. But once Aaron Sorkin left, it's been going downhill. I still watch every Wednesday at 7pm though, hoping for a glimmer of what it used to be.

I've watched a few American Choppers. To me, it's more about the family (family fights) and the biker lifesytle.

I did see The Office the other night, it was ok. I think they need to hit their groove. The manager guy was pretty funny, he was the guy in Bruce Almighty. I almost peed my pants during that scene where Jim Carey was making him talk gibberish on camera. Best part of the movie.

Other than that, there's Gardening by the Yard with Paul James (met him last year, a really nice guy), Bravo's Inside the Actor's Studio, reruns of Seinfeld and Everybody Loves Raymond.

MuFu

MuFu

Originally posted by greenfreak
I did see The Office the other night, it was ok. I think they need to hit their groove. The manager guy was pretty funny, he was the guy in Bruce Almighty. I almost peed my pants during that scene where Jim Carey was making him talk gibberish on camera. Best part of the movie.
I've never laughed so hard in my life, it was ridiculous. There were people almost crying in the cinema.

ups4

ups4

Hasn't anybody ever seen Rachel Ray on the Food Network?
Yowsers....she's about as cute as it gets.

Do you Brits get that channel over there?
Two of my favorite shows are no longer available though.
Naked Chef with Jamie Oliver, and Two Fat Ladies (course one of em died :( )

Other than that, CSI and Law and Order....oh yeah and Cops sometimes.

Paul

chcr

chcr

lemme offa this ride!!!!!
Originally posted by ups4
Hasn't anybody ever seen Rachel Ray on the Food Network?
Yowsers....she's about as cute as it gets.
Isn't that going a bit far afield for, umm.. something that would violate the AUP? Not that I disagree, she's certainly an attractive young woman. :D

PuterTutor

PuterTutor

Headbang Advocate
CSI, Law and Order, I like them.

What will keep me up all night is the damn History Channel though. There's been many a night it's 2 or 3 in the morning before I doze off in front of the tellie watching some documentary or another.