Monitor turns off

E

evetsrim1

I have had a similar problem. A few months ago I installed a 1080p 1080x1920 monitor. After a while it started shutting itself off. I reinstallled a 1200x1600 older monitor and that worked fine till a few days ago when it started shuttting itself off. I googled and read about the problem. I saw few solutions.
1. In windows 7 I had changed the power setting to lowest possible. I changed that back to balanced and monitor never turns off. No help.
2. I ran the free Scisoft Sandra and Wizard programs, both said I had 2gb ddr2 memory.
3. I tried another cable between monitor and computer, no help.
4. The capacitors (round black things) did not seem to bulge from sides or top on the mini motherboard.
5. I looked at the Coolermaster website, entered my computers components and they suggested a minimum 278 watt power supply. I removed the Chiefmax 630w 34a on one 12v rail power supply and installed a 600 watt Coolermaster 32a on one 12 volt rail power supply I had. No help.
6. I turned my HD 5750 video card memory settings to 80% using the AMD ATI driver. No help.
7. In bios (F8) I turned my memory setting for ddr2 from 666 to 500, limited help.
8. I turned off the computer, unplugged it from the wall and pressed the power button several times because there is a trickle charge even when off. Limited help.
9. I installed an older monitor 1024x1280 that used an older smaller cord adaptor on the monitor end. Now it works, if I game I can play a couple hours then the monitor turns off but it will restart and is useable. Without gaming the monitor seems to stay on.

Next I will try unplugging one stick of memory at a time and running the computer till monitor turns off. Then try using another wall plug because reducing power seemed to help. Last possibly replacing the $50 motherboard.

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Do you still have sound when the monitor turns off and does the computer still seem to respond to keyboard commands (ex: windows key > right arrow > enter pressed in sequence should shut down the system) ?

E

evetsrim1

The monitor turns off, sound is sometimes still there, sometimes I need to hold the power button till computer turns off. Sometimes the entire system will turn off.

I did check the wall power and that seems good and have tried other outlets.

The only thing that presently works is to unplug the computer and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, then restart and I will be able to operate the computer for a 24/7 without gaming and 2 hours if I game.

A

athi

could be a heat issue with either your graphic card or processor. your psu might also be going bad on you.

there are a couple of freeware hardware monitor program that will monitor the temperature of the processor and motherboard. run them and see if there is a large difference when you game and normal usage.

E

evetsrim1

I am running Sci soft Sandra and PC Wizard and my temps are good. PSU is a new Coolermaster with 32a on 12v rail.
This morning the computer monitor screen would not turn on at all, computer booted into windows, I heard the sounds. I restarted witht he integrated graphics. My video card was hd5750. Integrated graphics works fine.
I have heard the card required 40a on the 12 v rail. Probably need to get new video card or power supply.

E

evetsrim1

Opted to try

I opted to try a new hd5570 video card for $70, power supply was $55, similar in cost, so decided not to install a higher power psu. I realized I could play the games online I was playing on a mobo with integrated graphics and that my other new $189(Ascendtech)2.5 e5200 dual core cpu (intels most overclockable ever) computer with hd5450 could easily play these games also, so I went green.

The possibility existed that the hd5750 gpu had burnt out also, I could not find supporting google evidence of other with this problem so far though. So cpu 45nm, gpu 40nm.

Last edited:
E

evetsrim1

Monitor tuns off

The HD5570 seems to work fine now for 3 days. So either the HD5750 burnt out or the 600 watt power supply with 32a on the 12v rail was not enough power.

J

jaydeee

check your video card and motherboard capacitors, make sure that there is not bloated or leaking. based on my experience that is the culprit.
i hope that helps. :)

Associates