Monitor needs turned off ...

then back on at start up , in order to get my desk top.

If i'm in the wrong category...please let me know...maybe this is a software problem (keep reading why I think it might be)

Computer HP Pavilion Elite m9040n PC with an HP 19" w2408h Vidid Color Widecreen Flat-panel Monitor with BrightView panel, OS = Windows Vista

Here's what happens:

I turn my tower power button on, (my monitor is always on but I guess asleep)the monitor screens shows the various processes that it's doing (for exmple, there's a black screen with a blinking cursor, then a microsoft bar with a light going across it, then the microsoft logo & maybe a couple other things & then my wallpaper, and then nothing!!!)

Usually after the wallpaper comes on, my desktop & cursor will appear & I'm ready to use my computer; BUT not any more.

I can't access anything because there's nothing i can do...I did change the wallpaper to "none" but that didn't help...I tried to turn the monitor off & then on b4 I turn the tower on and at another time "during" start up...but no good).

Once I get the monitor working, I have no problem until the next time I have to get on.

Please note that this only started after I did some Windows Updates (about 20 of them ) BUT I tried to reviewed them & none seemed to be related to start-ups or monitors. I don't want to have to go back to a restoral point & then try to figure out which of the 20 Updates is the culprit & maybe none are!!(Possibly this post should be a software problem???)

Any & all help will be greating appreciated as I know only enough about computer to get in trouble.

Thanks ahead of time

Kellie Dobbie

Try connecting the monitor to another CPU. If the problem persists then it's your monitor that's at fault, otherwise it could be a software problem. Why are you so concerned about restoring your PC? Through it you can confirm if it's the Windows Update that is the source of your problem.