Middle mouse button not recognised in games

S

Secrom

Senior Dismember
Hi,
Reinstalled Win98 recently, and much to my surprise, the middle mouse button (plain Logitech serial mouse) doesn't work in games anymore.

I tried deleting the mouse from the System menu in the Control Panel. It found a new mouse, correctly identified, but still a no go.

Installed the latest Mouseware from Logitech, nope...

I can assign keyboard keys to the middle button, but in that case, it ony works when I release the button... try the alternate fire in UT in those conditions, lots of fun I can tell thee...

I know the button works, but if assigned at "Middle button" in the properties, games don't see it...

Any suggestion?

Already posted this in "Peripherals" with little success.

M

Moraelin

Good question. The exact same thing has happened to me recently, with a Logitech cordless. Not only the middle button is non-functional in games, but also the wheel is non-functional in games. (There goes the quick changing weapons.) I think the latest Mouseware is just plain old crap.

------------------
Moraelin -- the proud member of the Idiots' Guild

M

Moraelin

Yes, I know there's a patch that's supposed to do the same thing as manually killing the EM_EXEC process. However, it's also supposed to be included in any Logitech drivers less than a year or two old. Also, manually killing EM_EXEC doesn't solve the problem, either.

------------------
Moraelin -- the proud member of the Idiots' Guild

M

MitchSchaft

I didn't say anything about manually killing em_exec. I said find the registry hack. I did and now my mousewheel works in games.

[This message has been edited by MitchSchaft (edited 11-12-2001).]

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

I think killing em_exec just disable MouseWare, thus cancelling the middle button function and making it available in games .

BTW all registry patches are available at Logitech's website. Secrom, there's one especially for serial mice They are listed for Win95/98/NT4:
get them here

------------------
EquinoXe's old baby:
Pentium II 350 MHz
192MB Nec/Infineon PC133 SDRAM
6GB Fujitsu HDD (Ultra33)
Voodoo3 3000 AGP
Guillemot MaxiSound Fortissimo
Creative 36X CD-ROM
Windows 98SE

M

MitchSchaft

I used one on my win2k box and it worked. Don't remember where I got it from, though.

S

Secrom

Senior Dismember
Originally posted by equinoxe3d:

BTW all registry patches are available at Logitech's website. Secrom, there's one especially for serial mice They are listed for Win95/98/NT4:
get them here
Oh... errrr... yeah, there it is... ahem...

S

Secrom

Senior Dismember
Tried their register tweak, it didn't do anything.
Tried Win98 standard drivers, still nothing...
Really fed up with this stuff...

Do I have to reinstall the games too or what?

[This message has been edited by Secrom (edited 11-13-2001).]

S

Secrom

Senior Dismember
Really short of ideas here:
I dunno what their registry patch is supposed to do, but even playing around with the keys has had all but an effect.
Tried all kind of drivers (Native Logitech Serial Mouse in Win98, older MouseWare version 7, latest ones 9.4 something).

I'm not gonna go through a reinstall just because that stoopid operative system can't find this mouse?!? It always worked before for %£@# sake!!!

[This message has been edited by Secrom (edited 11-17-2001).]

Associates