McAfee VirusScan Install Problems

P

Pradesian

Lurker
I'm having a heck of a time trying to install VirusScan from the CD ROM. Everytime I try to install, it stops after the "Preparing to Install" message. Any suggestions on how to get this to install? I wanted to upgrade from VirusScan 3.0. I've tried shutting down all programs running in the background (except for Explorer and Systray). I also tried to install from the upgrade I downloaded from the McAfee site, but no dice. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Pradesian (edited 05-02-2000).]

rangeral

rangeral

Our Friend
if you have any leftover folders from previous installs of virus scan including downloaded updates of virus definitions, delete as much as you can find then do a cold reboot wait at least ten seconds before you restart maybe reboot another time so you sys gets used to it not being there. i assume your cdrom is working with other installs.
sometimes you have to go into the registry and remove any traces left that are in there though this is not for the meek.

M

Mikelh

As rangeral says, you need to sweep the registry of McAfee.

If you have Norton, you can sweep the registry clean of their files. If you don't have Norton, I can email you the RegClean program. It's small but powerful. You can single out all the Vshield files, etc. Email me if you'd like it. Or, you can visit this site and get a few nice tools yourself.
Try EasyCleaner 1.7 and RegCleaner 2.7.
http://www.pcnineoneone.com/pokpok/system.html
Michael

------------------
"The Most Important Things in Life are not Things"

[This message has been edited by Mikelh (edited 05-03-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Mikelh (edited 05-03-2000).]

P

Pradesian

Lurker
Thanks for your suggestions, rangeral and Mikelh. I tried wiping the my system clean of any McAfee files but that's easier said than done. I downloaded RegClean and EasyCleaner as you suggested, Mikelh and they're great but they don't have the option of allowing me to safely delete any McAfee references from the directory. I've even tried installing the new version of VirusScan in Safe Mode but still no luck. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

rangeral

rangeral

Our Friend
unless you want to format your hard drive your going to have to sit there for an hour or two and start deleting macafee files in your registry actually once you see it on left tree just delete there you don't have to open the branch as long as it says macafee but you should explore other branches to see if you spot more.
are you sure your cdrom is working okay, does the Mac disk look new or beatup. if you suspect the cdrom reboot with a bootdisk so it puts in mscdex for your cdrom in case it got corrupted then try it again, while your at a prompt type fdisk /mbr see if boot record needs fixing.
let us know how it goes.

P

Pradesian

Lurker
I don't think it's the CD-ROM since I've been able to re-install the older version of VirusScan. I've also been able to successfully install View Web from the same disc as the new version of VirusScan. I've tried to install the same version which I downloaded from the McAfee site (tech support gave me a password) but I come up with the same result: Setup prepares for installation but never actually completes it - as I mentioned earlier, MSIEXEC appears to be running in the background but the blue installwizard screen doesn't appear. I've also tried manually deleting McAfee references from the registry but it buggered up my Java applets in IE so I had to restore the registry (yes, I backed up before I tinkered). Formatting my hard drive will be a very last resort. I'm in no rush to install VirusScan 5.0 - it's just frustrating as heck. If only error messages popped up so I can have a reference point to troubleshoot!

C

colin munro

Appreciating article! Admiring the time and effort you put into your article. A great website with good content and interesting topic. Thanks a lot!

Associates