maybe Duke Nukem Forever will kill its programmers

YankeeMan

YankeeMan

The programmers could be death by one or more of the following causes:

a. the game releases and has nothing new (elements found in others similar games).

b. the game disappoint people.

c. the game get a very low score in game review sites and magazines. or

d. the project leader decides to stop that project.

by the way the waiting is of more than 8 years (1997 ~ 2004).

:(

CenturionStrategy

CenturionStrategy

Super Moderator
It should have been cancelled years ago. I remember when it was supposed to be hitting the shelves in '97 - the screenshots looked incredible based on the Quake2 engine. I just assumed it'd never come out.

I'd imagine even if the reviews were a bit tetchy, the huge Duke Nukem fanbase would still keep the sales at a respectable level.

proKrastinate

proKrastinate

strategically forgetful
Originally posted by YankeeMan
The programmers could be death by one or more of the following causes:

a. the game releases and has nothing new (elements found in others similar games).

b. the game disappoint people.

c. the game get a very low score in game review sites and magazines. or

d. the project leader decides to stop that project.

by the way the waiting is of more than 8 years (1997 ~ 2004).

:(
e. the programmers die of old age before the release date

O

Oxblood

Half Life's Team Fortress 2 is also a game taking a long time to complete. My understanding anyway is that it will be using the Half Life 2 game engine.

Honestly, if Team Fortress 2 ships with Half Life 2 i will buy it just for TF2.

Bink

Bink

Will moderate for food
They should dump the game and just get Bruce Cambell to make a Duke Nukem movie :D

TurtleMan

TurtleMan

Chelonian Member
The DNF developers claim that they're constantly rewriting the code to keep up with the latest technologies. I think that Far Cry just sent them back to square one ;-)

Let's not even talk about vertex and pixel shading...

Oh well, it's fun to think about a new Duke game: I hoipe that we'll see one sometime before "forever".

t-man

phenix

phenix

F: They put off the release until the technology is so good that it actually allows the programmers to physically enter the game wherin they are shot in the back by baddies while checking out the girls on the bigscreen.

W

Wynner2

If they had released it with the Quake II engine, I would have been happy. Then they said they were changing it to the unreal engine and I was mad because my videocard had a problem running that game. Recently they changed it the the UT 2004 engine right? I wonder which one they are going to go with next. They could have made 2 sequels by now.

Bink

Bink

Will moderate for food
It needs more dosh and a team of programmers that can actually create one of the next big engines instead of forever trying to play catchup using existing engines.