Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 30GB HD 7200rpm ATA/66?

P

PlunX

Is this hard drive any good? I just ordered one for $100. Is that a good deal, or am I going to be let down?

B

Best4x4

Maxtor makes excellent HDD's! $100.00 for an UDMA/66 (It might be upgradable to ATA-100), 7200RPM 2MB Buffer HDD isn't bad at all.

Lots of people refuse to use Maxtor HDD's beecause back in the day of 386/486's Maxtor HDD's were far from perfect, but Maxtor's newer HDD's are very fast and reliable.

How I rate HDD makers from 1 to 5

1. IBM/Maxtor (tie for #1 place)
2. Fujitsu (not a speed demon, but very reliable)
3. Quantum
4. Seagate
5. Western Digital

Sincerely,

Best4x4

W

wdeep

I think the Maxtor DiamondMax Plus is an excellent drive. All the reviews I've seen put the Maxtor and the IBM in a tie for first place. I currently have 5 DiamondMax Plus 30 G ATA/100 7200 rpm drives spinning and I am very happy with the performance of these drives.

------------------
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery;
none but ourselves can free our minds. (Bob Marley)

zodder

zodder

Suedehead
Maxtor makes great drives. The only problem I've encountered with them is that they are not very RAID friendly.

------------------
Sabres in 6

Psyduck

Psyduck

What model is it (family) Plus 40, Plus 45 or Plus 60?

Obviously a higher number represents a newer model (and therefore faster drive).

As it's ATA/66 then I'm guessing it's a Plus 40 (as all the drives from then were ATA/100) model number 53073U6.

If so the drive technology is about 18 months old.

It's still a very good drive (in fact it's one of the ones I'm using right now)

------------------
My Site - My Setup. What more could you ask for?

A

aug1516

I have a diamondmax plus 40, which is a 20gb 7200rpm, ATA/66. However when running sisoft sandra benchmarks my drives seems to be ATA/100 capable. Ever since I switched to the Abit KT7-RAID my hard drive performance has gone up which leads mt to believe that the maxtor drives are ATA/100 compatable without a firmware update.

S

smleg

This hard drive is excellent if you can get it set up. I have a horrible time getting my motherboard to use the right settings. I first had the motherboard set to auto detect which wasn't working out.

Asus P3V4X was set to auto which didn't work so well because every once in a while I woudl get a blue screen when installing something telling me that data was lost.

Once I downloaded a program called "maxdrive" (I think) I put it on floppy and detected the drives settings. I then changed the BIOS settigns to match those and haven't had any problems since!

Good luck and watch out for the auto settings, maybe its just my motherboard?

Steve

------------------
Celeron [email protected]
Asus P3V4X MB
Voodoo 3 2000 16meg AGP
Sb Live!
56k GVC Modem
30 gig Maxtor DiamondMax 7200RPM/ATA100
256 PC133 RAM
17" Samsung 750s
4x4x24 Iomega CDRW
56x CDROM (generic sh*t!)

The Risk Is The Rush
http://www.ramprage.com

P

PlunX

Well, I got it working perfectly with my other Fujitsu 10.8GB HD.. It's the "Plus 40" version. Does this mean that it cannot be upgradable to ATA-100? Also.. I was going to start a new topic, but I might as well ask it here.. Would there be any point of getting one of those "Promise ATA-100 PCI Expansion Cards"? Would I notice a performance increase or would it be a waste of money?

S

slipe

That is an excellent drive but you would be kidding yourself to think it will exceed the 66Mb/sec that ATA66 will support. If your MB supports ATA/UDMA 66 it has all the throughput it needs. If you have a UDMA 33 only MB you would see only a slight improvement with a 66 or 100 card. If your MB does not even support UDMA 33 then get a card as it would be a lot of bang for the buck.

------------------
If you can keep your head while others around you are losing theirs, then there is something you don't know

Associates