Max Payne review is up at IGN.com

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Hello everyone!

Just for your information, the Max Payne review is out at IGN PC. They gave it a very positive 9.3/10 (the highest score they ever gave was 9.6 on UT).

You can read it out here

------------------
Pentium II 350 MHz
160mb NEC PC100 SDRAM
Voodoo3 3000 AGP
Guillemot MaxiSound Fortissimo
Windows 98SE

T

trophy1

Without surfing to those links what is the early verdict? does it kick big time ARSE?
My copy should be at my doorstep sometime next week. ---I CAN'T WAIT!--- GO MAX, GO MAX!

KilrB

KilrB

3rd Member
My brother just picked it up. He says it's one great game! He says it runs pretty good on his Radeon system, but he also has a GF3 so i'm betting the Radeon system wont get to see to much of Max Pain
!

------------------
KilrB's PC

T

trophy1

Originally posted by JMike:
GameSpot -> 9.2 / 10
3D Gaming -> 9.5 / 10
Dam, it looks like the game rocks. I just hope it runs on my crappy PC.

Posted by Trophy1

B

Big Lar

I ran Max Payne most of the day yesterday/ Darn fine game, great graphics, and plenty of action

------------------
Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

K

Kaliman

Anyone who knows what a computer game is and does not buy this game is absolutely insane. Opening the box reminded me of the first computer game i bought, duke nukem 3d, and all the same feelings rushed back. I don't think i have played any game that has really been so sick since duke nukem 3d. It even has the same little touches that duke did which makes it so good, you can tell who made it and they definitely spent time. I'm not even gonna tell you what's so awsome about it. go buy it NOW!

H

HarldyWorking

I'm not even gonna tell you what's so awsome about it. go buy it NOW!
If you're not I will.

I just bought this game today and it seriously rocks. The graphics are unbelievable (angels singing in the backround as it runs with no lagging at full detail) and the sound is incredible. For the first time since I've installed the 3 1/2 disk of shareware version of Doom have I jumped in my seat from sounds. The action never stops. I'm up to Part 1 Ch4 and there has been no stop in the action. The slow mo (RightMmouseButton) action is something I've never seen before and really does makes you think you're in the Matrix. The controls are simple an un-complicated. I suggest going out and buying a four-button mouse for this one with a wheel. (You probally already have one anyway if you're reading this.)

The one thing I thought that was really neat was when I opened the instruction manual they give the Minimum Requirements and Recommended Requirements and beneath each is the associated 3dMarks2001 score.
Interesting touch.

Reminder: Download the 1.01 Patch from www.remedy.fi There have been some crash issues with the game from time to time so save often!

------------------
T-Bird [email protected]
ASUS A7V KT133
256MB PC133
ASUS V7700 Geforce2 GTS 64MB
Soundblaster Live! 5.1 X-Gamers
AOpen 12x40x DVD-ROM
WD 7200rpm 30gig HD
WD 7200rpm 20gig HD
-----
Hail to the King Baby!

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

This one is for BladeRunner

From IGNPC review:

Character models are also first-rate, although Max's arms do seem a bit long for his body and he always has a grimace on his face that makes him look constipated, but it certainly doesn't detract from the game

------------------
Pentium II 350 MHz
160mb NEC PC100 SDRAM
Voodoo3 3000 AGP
Windows 98SE

M

Moraelin

Amen, it is one sweet game. I've finished it yesterday, and I'm starting it again. It's not just the superb graphics and the very nice matrix-like sequences.

It's also that it has more story and scripted sequences than all the HL derivatives put together. (That is HL, Op Force, Gunman AND Blue Shift.) In fact, it has just about enough story for an RPG, not just for a shooter. And it's not just the story, it's also hearing the guards talk to each other all over the place, some soap opera sequence on a TV in a hotel, and all sorts of stuff like that.

Briefly, it's like being in an action movie. A good action movie.

------------------
Moraelin -- the proud member of the Idiots' Guild

zartan

zartan

Master Of Disguise
Originally posted by Moraelin:
Amen, it is one sweet game. I've finished it yesterday, and I'm starting it again. It's not just the superb graphics and the very nice matrix-like sequences.

Wow, you finished it already!! I just got it...anyway, how's the ending (without ruining it). Is it a good long "cut scene" type ending or a stupid 1 frame picture and congratulations? The game doesn't seem too complicated and I am looking forwards to finishing it...someday. I've just seen good/great games have the worst endings ever.

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Originally posted by Moraelin:
some soap opera sequence on a TV in a hotel

Have you stand watching it for a long time? Not to spoil the punch but something weird should happen if you watch it for long enough

------------------
Pentium II 350 MHz
160mb NEC PC100 SDRAM
Voodoo3 3000 AGP
Windows 98SE

[This message has been edited by equinoxe3d (edited 07-30-2001).]

C

Chilly3

The bat with no guns part was pretty hard. I just ran out and ran up to the two guys who were walking away, beat the shizit out of them and grabbed their guns and took off. Then killed the rest of the baddies.
Awesome game.

------------------
1GHz T-Bird, BCM-bc133kt, 256mbRAM,
Annihilator 2, Soundblaster LIVE!,Windows ME
30gb Maxtor 7200rpm

M

Moraelin

Oh, HARD it sure gets. If you thought the bat sequence was hard, wait until the final chapter. There's a place where you get 5-6 guys lobbing grenades at you from above, like there's no tomorrow.

But it's not complicated imho. The gameplay is pretty straightforward all the way.

The ending is exactly the beginning. You know the sequence on the rooftop they show at the beginning? Well, that's the end. Well, not really. It has some more story and stuff, but you get the idea. (In fact, you'd do well to watch that starting sequence and pay attention to details, if you can't figure out how to solve the ending. It can give you just the hint. I'll stop here, 'cause I don't want to spoil it for you.)

A nice touch is that you don't get to duke it with a 100 ft tall monstrosity of a boss like in other games. The end actually makes sense (as in: fits the Real Life setting very well), it's believable, and after I figured it out it gave me far more satisfaction than the traditional huge boss endings.

As for the soap opera, I've watched it until the end, but I don't remember anything funky happening.

------------------
Moraelin -- the proud member of the Idiots' Guild

Raccoon

Raccoon

Slacker
LOL, I do really like the screwed programs on TV...like that soapopera. (BTW, she has his sister right? And he didn't know about it, right? That's soapopera allright.)

There was another strange program about a weirdo who was speaking to a flamingo or something...

The game is great, and those small details really make it something special.

------------------
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors.
But today we kneel only to the truth..."

--Kahlil Gibran