Lost WEP key

M

MTECH

I'm new to wireless.

My girlfriend lost her WEP key. Old computer died. Can't access the router with the new computer because she doesn't have the key. How do we make it work again?

Last edited:
Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones

Administrator
** Note that this thread might get closed. Posting ways to bypass Security Issues on an Open to the Public Message Board isn't a good idea. **

M

MTECH

This is a legit question, but I understand.

Is there a way I could re-word it to make it acceptable?

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
Why don't you just use a wired connection to reconfigure the router? Doesn't the laptop have a wired port?

Go into the router's control panel and create a new WEP key.

BTW, you should really be using WPA or WPA2 instead of WEP nowadays.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Router menus and configuration, wireless or not, are accessed by a numerical address. This will be in the manual that you can download online. If you had reset a different address or changed the default password and can't remember it, most routers have a button that will reset it to factory defaults, allowing you to start over. To avoid this situation I now put the address and the password on a piece of tape on the bottom of the router. It's security on the internet you need; your own home ought to be safe enough.

M

MTECH

Thanks guys.

Up till this point, I have used only wired connections to access the internet and know almost nothing about networking- wired or not. I usually use the software firewall that comes in the internet security suite I have at the time.

Midknyte

Midknyte

Caffeine Fiend
WEP and WPA only affect WIRELESS connections. If you use the wired connection on the laptop, you can connect to the router and change the security settings.

Since you didn't tell us the make/model of your router, you'll have to look in the manual for instructions on accessing the router control panel.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
instructions on accessing the router control panel
Most routers can be accessed by typing the address into the address bar of your browser. For example, for DLink it would be this:

http://www.192.168.0.1

Then you'll have a menu that will let you choose your configuration options. The manual (or googled instructions) for your brand will also give you the default username and password to enter the conifg. I think for Linksys it's (blank) and admin. For adequate security you should really change those. Then tape them under the router so you can find them again.

H

hieg

Check to see if the router has a "reset" button on the back which returns all factory settings.

Associates