Looking for PCI Ethernet adapter

R

rvand

Boy, don't I wish it were that simple! Not only does it have to be PCI, but it has to support 10/100 and all 3 different connection protocals (RJ45, BNC, UTP). I managed to find a 10Mbps one that met those standards, but my boss is very picky!

Thanks a million!

H

hambone

besides being picky, your boss is uninformed.

BNC is 10mbs only. You have to have a diff type wire for 100mbs. RJ45 uses 5 twisted pair. These are wire connection types, not protocols & have several other differences.

Would suggest you buy your boss an introductory book on networking & let him choose the network type & protocol before setting impossible requirements for the network interface cards.

God only knows how he is going to want you to connect them up.

W

Walwus

hambone is right ..and funny.
RJ45 and UTP are the same connection. YOu can find PCI 3 COM Cards with BNC and RJ45 connections. I don't know why you would want that though. BNC is a coax connection at 5-base T and RJ45 will support up to 100MBs on good CAT 5 cable.

R

rvand

Thanx for the help! I'm just going to tell him to go with a standard RJ45 adapter. No more, no less. Thank you again.

Ryan

H

hambone

Ryan,

really should get a basic book on networks. there is a lot more than the NIC adapter type that has to be considered & planned for.

R

rvand

If you're referring to a hub, he told me that he already has one picked out...don't ask me!

Associates