Looking for a chipper fan to slap on a T-bred!

H

Hikeon3

Danger to Functioning PCs
Title says it all! Looking to spend 30 and under on a rippin' budget cooler. Some suggestions I've had so far are the Coolermaster HAC-V81 and the Thermaltake Volcano 9. I've heard good and bad about both...

Figure you guys can give the best opinions out there. Fire some ideas at me!

Marvt74

Marvt74

HWC Superpi Champion
try the thermalright sk7 that should be in your price range i think
maybe the slk-800 at a stretch

krupted

krupted

SVC has the sk-7 for $19, throw in a panaflo fan and you got yourself a rippin budget cooler

H

Hikeon3

Not bad.

Looking over the fans, I have a few questions.

The CFM, I know, that that is the amount of air flow being pushed over the heatsink. What number am I looking for?

The decibels, I know, is the noise rating. Well currently, I've got an old 38cfm Delta fan on a Globalwin FEP-32 running in my case and it sounds like a vacuum cleaner. What decibel level will run at a quieter level than this one? (I'll be in a college dorm come fall)

Thanks a lot y'all.

Todd a

Todd a

SVC does have some of the best prices for heatsinks out there. I have never ordered anything from them though, but many people recommend them.

H

Hikeon3

What do y'all know about the Glacialtech Igloo 2500Pro?

Read some reviews. Looks like it is quiet and performs well. Any inputs?

Marvt74

Marvt74

HWC Superpi Champion
not heard of that sorry

but i can safely tell you pretty much any other fan you buy will be considerably quieter than your delta

your probably looking for about 20-30ish db

Todd a

Todd a

I actually baught one. It has only a thin copper base. The rest of the heatsink is aluminum that is panted copper colored. I never tried it with the stock fan. I bent the fins out a bit so it would fit an 80mm fan instead. I slapped on a 2500 RPM 80mm fan and it cooled my AthlonXP 1800+ revA at 1.837Ghz. I thaught the temps were not the best so I got an SK-7 and slapped the same fan on. The temp only dropped about 1'C. My mod of spreading the fins out makes sure that all the air goes into the heatsink. The SK-7 is actually not as wide as the 80mm fan on top, so a portion or the air blows around the heatsink instead of through it. Plus with the fins spread out the air can flow between the heatsink fins better. I've done this mod on other heatsinks with very good results. I'm thinking of doing this to my SK-7, but the fins are inteerlocked and it would likely make a big mess.

This is a picture of my Mod'd Igloo 2500 when it was installed in my system:

deltree_windows

deltree_windows

Computer Newbie
$7 Speeze. 26.5dBA = quietest rated fan that ive ever found. ive used 2 and both have gotten 1700+ TB-B's over 2 GHz at about 42C max.

Todd a

Todd a

Originally posted by Hikeon3
So, uh, is that a praise or a poo? ;)
Stock it might be an OK heatsink at best, but with a few simmple mods, it can stand with the big dogs. The 70mm fan sucks and with just bending out the fins a bit, you can fit an 80mm instead that generates more airflow with less noise and the added benifit of reduced resistance from the larger air gap between the fins (not much but anything helps) brings this heatsink up to par.

Associates