Latest Microsoft update killed Word Starter

L

Lavan

All my Word docs are unusable.
Is there any way to get the starter back?

This is disgraceful for Microsoft.

Oh, I can pay for Office which I don't want, but the starter was fine for my use.

:mad:

L

Lavan

Just did and got the dreaded blue screen. Safe mode repair apparently repaired the devastation whatever it was but I still
have no access to Word.
I can get a fake one freeware or go for buying the damn thing to satisfy the extortion.

L

Lavan

Gonna just go with Open Office and let it save in .odt instead of .docx.

Hope it doesn't screw up the files if I use as attachments in emails, etc.

I also changed my MSFT settings to ...NEVER... do an auto update.
Was this smart?

:confused:

Shinma

Shinma

Make it a habit of creating a backup image.
Especially just prior to installing hotfixes.

L

Lavan

I sure didn't CHOOSE to uninstall Word Starter.

It was an auto update on shutdown last night. It's now set to NEVER update.

If this was a human, Microsoft would be an extortionist.:mad:

Huge

Huge

Why am I still doing up?
I also changed my MSFT settings to ...NEVER... do an auto update.
Was this smart?

:confused:
I would choose the setting "download updates but let me choose when to install them". You never want to not get any important update.

Shinma said:
Make it a habit of creating a backup image.

Monthly imaging is a good practice to get into (depending on how often your files change, weekly?)

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

I had problems with that latest update for Office as well. My issue was that the same four (I think) updates wanted to install repeatedly. As I look at my update history, I see them there six times. I got the machine to stop doing it by going to Update and marking them as hidden. Office 2007 (Word, Excel, Outlook in my case) seem to be okay. I am reluctant to uninstall the update and try again.

Blessedly, I backup/image regularly, so I sleep well at night-at least as to that.

L

Lavan

Good grief! Now today I have jumped thru some hoops to remove hilited popups and ...THINK.... I handled it by disabling Tidy Network extension on Chrome and going into IE Tools>Advanced> and unchecking "allow third party extensions.

Hmmmm???

BUT.... also today, I locate Word Starter in the program list. But no way to shortcut to it or get docs to use it for opening.

What the heck do I do about it? I've added Open Office but if there's still Word Starter on the machine why can't I get docs to use that to open, create, and edit?

Can I be this stupid?:confused:

Shinma

Shinma

Until Microsoft figures out how the hotfixes broke all the various Office software,
Nothing much one can do, unless one had a recent backup image for emergencies.

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Got the infinitely repeating updates on my secondary PC with Office 2007, my main one with Office 2010 is fine though.

equinoxe3d

equinoxe3d

Yesterday I clicked on the "Check for updates" link in Windows Update and the broken updates disappeared, it seems like it's solved now.

L

Lavan

The 9/12 update from MSFT destroyed everything you aren't paying $99 per year for.

I have disabled ALL updates from the extortionist company.

L

Lavan

Until I hear DEFINITIVELY that Microsoft has regained its integrity and lets me use the Word Starter program that came with the computer, I will keep using Open Office and just have stuff in .odt files.
I am REALLY pissed at this.
I hope someone got fired.
But they probably got a promotion.