Laptop problem

Headst1r

Headst1r

I was chatting with my gf when all of a sudden I get this HUGE shock on my lip from my headphone/mic combo. Now my comp freezes when I put my wireless G card in the slot...Did I fry the card or did I screw up the slot?

New card still freezes system...must be the slot

Last edited:
ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

I've actually had a few static shocks on some notebooks I've used. So far, I've never killed one in this way. I think quite a bit of it has to do with wireless cards, since my iBook never zapped me until I installed the wireless card. Hopefully you didn't ruin the slot, but if a new card isn't helping, it doesn't sound good.

Headst1r

Headst1r

Tried a new card with no luck. Called dell and they are sending me a box for me to send it in for repair. The guy talked to the technician and he said they will have to replace the mobo. Seems like the shock foirst knocked out the mic/headphone port and knocked out the wireless port as well.

It was a pretty big shock too. The headset/mic combo has the mic that comes down to your mouth. It delivered a pretty nasty shock to my lip, enough that it made me take off the headset and pretty much toss it to the floor. I have never had that happen before. Good thing dell usually gets my laptop back to me quick :)

Associates