Laptop crashed...need to save files

C

chilly369

Hello,

I have a gateway laptop running windows xp, at some point I acquired a virus (I would assume) that will not let me do anything on the computer. I am able to boot up, but I cannot go online, open any kind of virus protection or install any new programs. I cannot create a cd nor does the computer recognize my usb drives anymore. I would really like to get my pictures off this hard drive before i wipe it clean. I have tried the linux programs such as xubuntu and some other program that happend to be in german. My hard drive would not appear in xubuntu program and the german program was no help beacause I do not speak a lick of german. All I want to do is get some pictures off the damn computer but can't. Is there a way to use the usb drive in DOS maybe and move the files that way? Any suggestions would be great. thanks.

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

Two things:

1. Have you tried booting up in Safe Mode?

2. Have you considered taking the hard drive out of the laptop and putting it in an external drive enclosure so you can access it via another machine?

C

chilly369

I have tried booting up in safe mode. same issues. I would have no idea about how to go about taking out the hard drive.

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

I doubt that will be hard. Post the model number and let's see what we can find.

The hard drive is usually accessible with the removal of a panel on the bottom of the laptop.

jimbo1763

jimbo1763

If it looks like the panel in the link I sent, try removing the panel and seeing if the hard drive is under there. It will likely slide out. It may have an adapter at the business end of it that you may need to remove, but otherwise it should be just a plain 2.5" notebook hard drive that you can insert into a hard drive enclosure.

R

rockymtn

So basically you need to totally reinstall Windows from scratch. Whether you can save any of your files that you have not backed up elsewhere depends whether you have something that can boot from CD to do that. Although, you may be able to save files if you put the drive in an external drive enclosure, and virus scan it first from another computer, before copying files from it.

[link deleted by moderator]

Associates