Just bought: Asus 7600GT SILENT

MuFu

MuFu

This one.

I had a 6800 Ultra before - it was a review sample on "permanent loan" from a friend and I thought it was about time I returned it in fully working condition! Great card but the cooler noise to used to piss me off - even at 25% speed it had this horrible grinding quality.

The 7600GT is pretty much as fast and completely silent. I suspect there is a lot of overclocking headroom too. Couldn't say no for £115 - what a bargain! :)

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

I've seen that card before, and I really like the design. The movable heatpipe is ingenious, as it actually helps move heat away from the card. Nice card if you have the room!

MuFu

MuFu

It's fantastic. In the position shown it really catches a nice cool draft from the exhaust fans. Idle temps are sub-50C and I can push it to 605/1640MHz without having to have any of my case fans above 5V. Think I'll get a Coolermaster Hyper 6 for the CPU next. :D

I have a feeling that the core will go quite a bit higher - at the moment it isn't artifacting/freezing at above 600MHz, but stuttering instead. Seems to be a power supply issue.

ThreeOnTheTree

ThreeOnTheTree

How warm does that heatsink get that hangs out? Most passive cards get pretty hot.

MuFu

MuFu

Well, *warm* only; you couldn't call it hot at all. I was a little concerned that it wasn't removing heat effectively at first, but idle GPU temp is sub-50C.

Conversely, that little Zalman passive northbridge sink you can see in the photo gets far too hot to touch!