I've screwed up my Lenovo Yoga 260

U

uberclocker

I think I'm so smart. My mother in law's Lenovo Yoga was hacked. So I told her I would put Linux Mint on it and no one would hack it again. Well, it didn't go so well. I could boot from my Mint ISO USB stick but once Mint was installed on the HD, it wouldn't boot from the HD. In fact now it won't boot from anything. It just goes to a boot order menu and won't let me select the HD or any other boot devices from the boot order. I went into the Bios and reset the boot order and to reset to factory defaults several times but it makes no difference. I even got a Windows USB stick (new OS) and it won't boot from that now. I think it's still a software problem (Lenovo diagnostics don't detect a hardware problem). I need a hard reset or I need to flash the Bios (the last time I flashed a Bios I used a floppy disk). I just want to wipe everything and install the new Windows 10 OS that I bought (from the provided USB stick) but it won't let me. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

U

uberclocker

all's well that end's well. I made an ISO mirror of Ubuntu and now Ubutnu is installed on the laptop. it is working like it should and all is well. I have no idea what the problem was, but now I have an extra copy of Windows 10. I guess I'll have to build another system.

1alexie

I am glad to know that you find a resolution to your concern, I will definitely keep your tips in mind just in case this happens to me.

C

cliffsthern78

all's well that end's well. I made an ISO mirror of Ubuntu and now Ubutnu is installed on the laptop. it is working like it should and all is well. I have no idea what the problem was, but now I have an extra copy of Windows 10. I guess I'll have to build another system.
Don't wanna go back to windows? I just hope your mother isn't having a hard time adjusting to ubuntu.

U

uberclocker

I appreciate your note. She's 88 years old and when I visited her recently, Ubuntu was on her laptop and she was using it without any problem at all. I'm not sure that she detected any difference, which is remarkable, as she's anxious about computer things and fusses about any small problems or irregularities. I am not a Windows fan and I often wonder why bother given the differences in the security risks between the 2 platforms. My son, a computer guy, says that Windows may do better with multi-media etc, but that's not what I or my mother in law use a computer for. Thanks again.

Technoplume

Technoplume

Yeah same here, I'm leaving the windows boat little by little. Ubuntu is getting easier every day to use and setup.

On a side note the yoga is on a SSD. and not all Distro are up to date on all the hard drive on the market. I have run in installation trouble from mint and Fedora also in the past. Where Ubuntu or Xbuntu would installed properly. My Guess is that the driver available on the installation disk where not setup properly with this device but used a general configuration that was not compatible with the yoga once installed on the device. Or there was some remain of the old OS in the MBR and that screwed up the OS a little. trying different OS clean the Disk properly. à

Highly recommend next time you have a virus / hack problem to use a boot CD like you did, but run a complete multiple partition wipe on the HD.

SSD only erase the pointer to a file to save life longevity of the device. So even if the disk look clean, the malicious software / file is still there. Usually a trim command erase the free sector by resetting them to 0 or 1 etc from the OS, completely erasing the free space. This also makes the SDD faster has it does not have to erase à and wright a a later date on that sector. But it does use a few life and reduce the life of the SSD if over abused.

Glad you could make it work :3

Associates