Is it me or ATI?!? Perhaps M$? Arghhhh!!!

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
I got an ATI TV Wonder 650 PCI,. and the damn thing works OK in XP, but trying to get it to work in Vista has proven to be the stuff of nightmares. The crazy part is that I have had it working before, though it was a pain in the *** then, and I can't remember other than after grueling hours the universe took pity on me!

First off the CD that came with it will not run it's menu options at all. It makes a cute little noise, as if to say "sucker", how Long can I make you wait before you realize this is futile?" So then I have a bunch of abbreviated files on the CD and so far the only thing I have gotten is Catalyst media center to work. So I searched out the latest drivers, and specifically made sure they were supposed to be Vista compatible, and that goes fine, except nothing ever tells you "bingo, I found the hardware!" The best I can see is an ATI unified stream driver, but I have no idea what category the tuner card should be in, or what the machine would call it. I know for a fact it's in there because on reboot after I put the card in Windows recognized something new, so I selected "remind me later". I think it's waiting for holographic TV to come out before it will ask me about this thing again....

In any case, as you can see I am not at all a novice to Windows PCs, but I am kind of clueless about TV tuners in particular, so PLEASE HELP BEFORE I GO POSTAL!!!!

Thanks guys, someone always comes through.....I have yet some hope!

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
I hate ATI more each time I get one of their products, but aren't TV Tuners supposed to be their specialty?

I had also forgotten to say that I am running Vista Business 64 bit edition, and secondly I have been spending hours with various recent drivers of theirs and all to no avail. The only really clear memory I have of the last time I had this work was that it was not this version of Vista, and that the drivers were older.

W

weirdo

did you try the the latest drivers from ATI or from the card manufacturers site?

I haven't had an ATI card in quite some time, but with my card I'll go directly to Nvidia and then if something isn't working right I'll go to EVGA's website and at times they will have a different version that works.
For whatever reason when I played Crysis I needed to upgrade the driver, BUT not to the latest version as they wouldn't work. Am running XP Pro tho...

I would try the two different sites, and then work back 1 driver release after another...sometimes those vid cards a picky...

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
It's a retail ATI model, so just ATI. The issue is not the driver, it's that I have no software to use the card with because the software that came with it either totally sucks or is dependent upon Windows Media Center, or both. When I open Catalyst Media Center, it just tells me there is no TV tuner. The driver installs without issue though, and ATI devices show as working in device manager as "ATI Unified AVStream Driver", under Sound, video, and game devices. All I need is a way to use the card.

markjs

markjs

Vlad The Impaler
I give up! I actually installed XP Media Center 2005, and got it to work for 2 minutes before it was unwatchable (slow choppy) with the ATI Catalyst Media Center. I tried to set up with the Windows one, but it just keeps telling me "Messenger Failure" but yet Windows Messenger is installed, working, and logged in. I have an old POS Winfast TV2000 XP, but I can't get that to work in XP MC either. The company provides Vista drivers but I am about to never touch a TV tuner again!

krupted

krupted

"ATI unified stream driver" is what you want. that is all that you will see in device manager. if that is there, with no errors, then you have the card installed properly.

are you trying to do OTA? if you are, then you probably are having the same experience i have ALWAYS had with 650p's. what happens is the signal strength is not good enough (if you dont have a 90% signal or better then just forget about trying to watch that channel) media center starts skipping frames, choppy up, even freezing. the best part is, this does something weird to your system (amd or intel, dont seem to matter), where you basically get about half performance- even if you task manager out of media center it doesn't matter. the only way to get the system running properly again is to power down and restart. to this day i have no clue what or how this low signal problem does to media center, but it does it to xpmc, vista mc, win7, and on intel or amd boards. it might be the card crippling the pci bus somehow.. who knows.

(to make clear-er)
even if you open up livetv and it works fine, then when it starts to jitter and get choppy you move the antenna to a spot you KNOW is good, it will continue to be choppy no matter what. NOTHING i have ever found can fix the choppiness except for a complete shutdown and restart. THE ONLY way to watch live tv in media center with the 650p is to have a perfect antenna signal to start with, and don't have it fade or wander. media center or more likely the 650p is just not capable of handling rough incoming signals.

so first off, restart your machine before you try media center again with the tuner. once restarted, open up live tv and see if it works for a few minutes just fine, and if it does you do have everything working right- you probably just need a better antenna setup (or ditch ati tv tuners alltogether- notice how you really can't find the 650's anymore, just a hint)

also, this can even happen if you are on the cable feed and your coax db's arent correct.

Last edited:

Associates