• Yes

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ThePerson98

ThePerson98

Man, I miss this place. It's hard to find good web communities in which people know each other personally and are friendly. I run around on reddit, but that place is so impersonal, and it seems that no matter what you post there's someone going "you're wrong because internet. :mad:" How's everyone who's still here doing?

Justintime

Justintime

Man, I miss this place. It's hard to find good web communities in which people know each other personally and are friendly. I run around on reddit, but that place is so impersonal, and it seems that no matter what you post there's someone going "you're wrong because internet. :mad:" How's everyone who's still here doing?
Not bad, i know what you mean though about everything becoming a "£""£$" contest on the net these days!

Q

Quatroux

I think it is a little funny to see this posted in 2009 when I thought this place died long before that. My memory is fuzzy, but I feel like it was 2003 or so and there was a major change like a new owner or something. Wasn't IDG involved at some point? They have a habit of destroying perfectly good sites like this. Anyway, it has been too many years. I owe a lot to this site in its old form. I learned all I know about PC architecture from this place and used that knowledge to build a pretty good career in IT. I haven't really done anything technical in a few years, but I came back here looking to get up to speed on PC changes.

I agree with the above comments about reddit and such. I guess we've replaced forums with comment threads and twitter. If you want to argue. post a comment on any article on any site. If you want to share your opinion in 140 characters or less, tweet it. If you need more than 140 characters, start a blog and then you can mediate fights on your own comment threads. It is just millions of people talking and no one listening. This place at least had a solid exchange of valuable information even if it did sometimes erupt into Intel vs. AMD. Hell, I think we used to have some good arguments between the single CPU and multi-CPU crowds.

In short, get your darn kids off my lawn!!!

Q

Quatroux

I guess it was ZiffDavis and not IDG. The bankruptcy and sale to QuinStreet happened too late to be what I'm thinking of. It must have been a change in forum policy - can't really say 2003 was the year either.

Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones

Administrator
2003 was probably when the Off Topic forum was closed. It was lively yet out of control;)

Q

Quatroux

Seems like an innocent enough change, but I guess you can't underestimate people on the internet. I see Tom's Hardware sold in 2007. I guess the hobbyist sites really grew up.

MitchSchaft

MitchSchaft

Hilarious again. I'm back to say this place died in 2001 due to a heavy handed admin lol. Can't believe I remember this. Signed up in 1998, forum died and everyone lost their accounts/posts. Lost 10,000 posts and had to resign up. That was fun.

I see I only have 43 posts. I guess there was another purge. i'm just an old man, former I.T. tech. Those were the days.

Last edited:
D

DamagedStructures

So sad this forum died! I used to post under the username G4, I think, but I wasn't able to rescue that account and it seems that many posts are gone.

This forum gave many many hours of happiness back in the day.

Viper222

Viper222

Nissan Driven
I used to live on this website, reading posts, etc. Times have changed for me. I am no longer in the IT field, and don't have the time to spend on the Internet like I used to. Hardware Central is an amazing website, with many knowledgeable people. I always remember HWC as my source of computer information.

K

kredd

For many years I was only a reader of HWC, treating this forum as a valuable source of information. Being a reader of HWC for 8 or 9 years I could observe the changes in users engagement on this forum. And yes, less and less people participate in the forum discussions. The reason of it, at least in part, is a shift from classic PC computers to notebooks, tablets and smartphones, which do not allow to modify theit configuration. So - no doubts about choosing motherboard, HDD ot CPU, etc.

DanceMan

DanceMan

Procrastinating Member
Too true. Mobility and convenience have crowded out power. The mobile devices have "enough" power to satisfy our needs.

Associates